PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite bands/artists?

JoshuaGaler
05-11-2010, 12:24 AM
Hi
Just thought I'd start a music thread to see what everyone likes around here. My favorite bands/artists are: of Montreal, Sunset Rubdown, Interpol, Arcade Fire, Matt and Kim, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Death Cab for Cutie, Pixies, Muse, Reverie Sound Revue, The Cure, Devotchka, Broken Social Scene, Ladytron, and more of Montreal.

kylem
05-12-2010, 09:19 AM
You've got good taste. Some of what I like...The Decemberists, Fleet Foxes, My Morning Jacket, Arcade Fire, Laura Veirs, NMH, Wilco, Spoon, Neil Young and old Waterboys and U2 thrown in for good measure. :)

Ben_Wood
05-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Yes - IMHO the greatest rock group of all time!, ELO, Steely Dan, Supertramp, Collective Soul, Tears for Fears, Fleetwood Mac, CSN(&Y), U2, Blackfield, Little River Band, and Pearl Jam.

Tushar
05-21-2010, 05:32 PM
4 posts in and no Zeppelin. Heathens...

Danielmarkwogh
08-17-2010, 08:31 PM
My favourite bands are...

The beatles
Green days
Aminem
Linkin park
Muse

thanisabella
10-19-2010, 12:19 AM
My favourite bands are,

Broken Social Scene
Pixies
Devotchka
Montreal
Ladytron

BWG707
10-22-2010, 03:06 PM
Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
The Doors
Cream
Sublime
Bob Marley
Al Dimeola
Jeff Beck
Chic Corea

aricjoy
11-25-2010, 09:53 PM
As I can say that sometimes you will see the musicians going in and out of the venue. And I also assume that sometimes bands will stick around after the show. But still I like some of the bands that are follows :

- Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

- The Prodigy - Fat of The Land

- Rise Against

- DJ Sammy

soundseeker
11-26-2010, 08:21 AM
Mine would include:
- The Eagles
- Jack Johnson
- matchbox 20 / Rob Thomas
- Santana
- Diana Krall
- The Doors
- Owen Plant

STRONGBADF1
01-01-2011, 05:56 AM
Rush & Joe Satriani are my all time favorites. I have lots of other favorites but through the years those two have never wavered.:cool:

qwknuf6
01-01-2011, 09:28 PM
My favorite band is:

The Big, Stupid Fucks
Screeching Weasel
Problems with the Move to Spain
Silicone Death
Silicon Jesus
Kama Kama Sutra
Line Reversal

SPAM?

colbertfenton
02-01-2011, 08:39 PM
My favourite bands are
-The beatles
-Green days
-Devotchka
-Montreal
-Ladytron

RPM
03-31-2013, 07:11 AM
Boston
Journey
Diana Krall
Elvis Presley
The Eagles
The Corrs

4Play
06-19-2013, 01:22 PM
My music taste is very eclectic

Classic Rock... Eagles, Doobie Brothers, Dire Straits, Foreigner, Styx, etc.

Blues... BB King, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Kenny Wayne Shepperd, Eric Clapton, etc

Smooth Jazz... Jeff Golub, Diana Krall, Joyce Coolong, Marc Antoine, Wayman Tisdale, FourPlay, etc.

jamesg
06-25-2013, 01:27 PM
West Virginia or Nevada?

kelvinb
12-22-2021, 02:18 PM
Mine would be:
Santana
Queen
Utada Hikaru
Ringo Sheena

upgrayedd
02-25-2022, 04:41 PM
My favorite bands & albums are often not the best sounding ones. That's a different list. I'll drop some of my favorite albums though

Acid Bath - When The Kite String Pops
Floater - Sink
White Zombie - La Sexorcisto
KMFDM -Angst
Neurosis - Through Silver And Blood
Fear Factory - Demanufacture
Prodigy - Fat Of The Land
Carcass - Heartwork

Digital Underground - Sex Packets
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
Digable Planets - Reachin'
Wu Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang
Nujabes - Hydeout Productions

Duran Duran - Rio
Tears For Fears - Big Chair
Oingo Boingo - Only A Lad
The Cure - Disintegration

PersonalTriumph
02-27-2022, 03:32 PM
I'm a child of the late 70s/ early 80s:

Dire Straits
Steely Dan
Elvis Costello
Joe Jackson
Talking Heads
The Clash
Led Zeppelin (obligatory)
And...
Molly Hatchet (lit me up from the first drop of the needle in the groove at age 13 and still a guilty pleasure. Listening to them right now in fact :D)

davef
02-28-2022, 05:01 PM
My favorite bands & albums are often not the best sounding ones. That's a different list. I'll drop some of my favorite albums though

Acid Bath - When The Kite String Pops
Floater - Sink
White Zombie - La Sexorcisto
KMFDM -Angst
Neurosis - Through Silver And Blood
Fear Factory - Demanufacture
Prodigy - Fat Of The Land
Carcass - Heartwork

Digital Underground - Sex Packets
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
Digable Planets - Reachin'
Wu Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang
Nujabes - Hydeout Productions

Duran Duran - Rio
Tears For Fears - Big Chair
Oingo Boingo - Only A Lad
The Cure - Disintegration

Floater! Relatively unknown band, but I have been listening to them for a while now. Very unique sound, every album is so different.

upgrayedd
03-01-2022, 03:15 PM
Floater! Relatively unknown band, but I have been listening to them for a while now. Very unique sound, every album is so different.

Wow, I almost never find people who have heard of them. I first got into Sink because of the crazy bass guitar sounds. I like Glyph a lot too.

davef
03-01-2022, 08:41 PM
Wow, I almost never find people who have heard of them. I first got into Sink because of the crazy bass guitar sounds. I like Glyph a lot too.

I put Sink on our office music server a while ago simply because I really enjoy it and it is just so different. I should probably put Glyph on there too. Check out Tiamat, I think you would enjoy them. Prey is a fantastic album, dark and extremely melodic.

upgrayedd
03-01-2022, 10:14 PM
I put Sink on our office music server a while ago simply because I really enjoy it and it is just so different. I should probably put Glyph on there too. Check out Tiamat, I think you would enjoy them. Prey is a fantastic album, dark and extremely melodic.

Thanks! I got a sneak listen at work and I'm looking forward to a proper listen when I get home

laserllama
09-09-2022, 12:07 PM
Old thread and kind of an "albums" vs bands answer in places but anyway...

El Ten Eleven is good for instrumental/background stuff. 2-person guitar+drums looper band. Phenomenal to watch if you can ever see them live.
Historically, Robert Randolph & The Family Band was amazing live and one of my absolute favorites, IMHO the old archive.org concerts are better than the albums because you get some exceptionally long jams and the CDs are all super short tracks
Headphones especially, I like the early Shins stuff. Broken Bells (same guy) + danger mouse sounds good though I'm into the songs less.
Fountains of Wayne, or at least the Welcome Interstate Managers album (good road trip album)
all Van Halen, particularly the later stuff (I prefer Sammy's era, but Dave is solid) and Fair Warning (Dave)
Iron Maiden, particularly Seventh Son of A Seventh Son
Alice Cooper's Trash is a weird GNR-era Glam Rock Masterpiece with great production even if you don't like Alice Cooper
Guns N Roses, especially Live Era 92-93 which is amazing
The Band, particularly the Last Waltz live album
Warren Zevon, particularly some of the earlier stuff.
If you like video game music, the Minibosses are some of my favorites, check out the Megaman 2 medley on Brass
Blitzen Trapper
Blueman Group, particularly The Complex Rock Tour album (also, nice bass!)
Neil Young
Deep Purple
Derek and the Dominoes
Santana
Parts & Labor is an interesting noise rock band
The Flaming Lips (heck of a party live)
Gov't Mule and the Allman Brothers (Hittin' the Note is a well produced "recent" album)
Sigur Ros, Jonsi's solo stuff (too lazy for inserting correct accent marks, sorry)
The Wallflowers when they still had Jaffe playing
Neil Young
Perrey & Kingsley (of the Baroque Hoedown / Electric Light Parade song fame)
Pink Floyd, especially Meddle /Wish You Were Here / etc

davef
09-13-2022, 01:02 AM
Old thread and kind of an "albums" vs bands answer in places but anyway...

El Ten Eleven is good for instrumental/background stuff. 2-person guitar+drums looper band. Phenomenal to watch if you can ever see them live.
Historically, Robert Randolph & The Family Band was amazing live and one of my absolute favorites, IMHO the old archive.org concerts are better than the albums because you get some exceptionally long jams and the CDs are all super short tracks
Headphones especially, I like the early Shins stuff. Broken Bells (same guy) + danger mouse sounds good though I'm into the songs less.
Fountains of Wayne, or at least the Welcome Interstate Managers album (good road trip album)
all Van Halen, particularly the later stuff (I prefer Sammy's era, but Dave is solid) and Fair Warning (Dave)
Iron Maiden, particularly Seventh Son of A Seventh Son
Alice Cooper's Trash is a weird GNR-era Glam Rock Masterpiece with great production even if you don't like Alice Cooper
Guns N Roses, especially Live Era 92-93 which is amazing
The Band, particularly the Last Waltz live album
Warren Zevon, particularly some of the earlier stuff.
If you like video game music, the Minibosses are some of my favorites, check out the Megaman 2 medley on Brass
Blitzen Trapper
Blueman Group, particularly The Complex Rock Tour album (also, nice bass!)
Neil Young
Deep Purple
Derek and the Dominoes
Santana
Parts & Labor is an interesting noise rock band
The Flaming Lips (heck of a party live)
Gov't Mule and the Allman Brothers (Hittin' the Note is a well produced "recent" album)
Sigur Ros, Jonsi's solo stuff (too lazy for inserting correct accent marks, sorry)
The Wallflowers when they still had Jaffe playing
Neil Young
Perrey & Kingsley (of the Baroque Hoedown / Electric Light Parade song fame)
Pink Floyd, especially Meddle /Wish You Were Here / etc

Great list -- interesting that you started with El Ten Eleven. I recommended them a while back, good stuff!

SunByrne
09-13-2022, 08:15 PM
Great list -- interesting that you started with El Ten Eleven. I recommended them a while back, good stuff!

El Ten Eleven has been opening for Peter Hook and the Light off and on during the current tour. Unfortunately, Houston was one of the "off" dates so I didn't get to see them. PH&TL were still awesome, though.