PDA

View Full Version : Any chance of cylinder versions?

blindcat7
03-19-2010, 05:33 PM
I have always found the concept of a cylinder sub, tall with a small footprint to be an appealing one. I was wondering if there has been any thought given to developing such versions of the Rythmik subs? Are there any reasons why this would be a bad idea from a performance standpoint? Most such designs I am aware of are ported, but I wonder if there are any reasons one couldn't do a sealed sub this way as well?

Thanks,

Chris

RythmikAudio
03-23-2010, 06:59 AM
Chris,

Cylinder subwoofer is not a main stream design and it is often used in vented subs as they can easily extend at one dimension to accommodate vent pipes for vented sub. If you check Hsu and SVS, they use cylinder subs to start their business, but eventually all settle on box enclosures for their main stream products. That says a lot. It is cost effective (because it is light-weight), but there is a bottleneck (or performance ceiling). If one really want to make cylinder subs, I would recommend drum shelf plywood. They come with various ply numbers and thickness. I would say 3/4" thickness is the minimal. It is definitely heavier and stiffer than sonotubes (which is paper based) that most DIYer are recommended. Due to its supply/manufacturing difficulty, we don't plan to offer any cylinder subwoofer.

Brian

blindcat7
03-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Thanks for that. I have looked at that form factor since I first saw Hsu's offerings in the mid to late '90s. For me the sole appeal is the space saving, but I personally wouldn't care to take any kind of performance hit just to save some space. DIY isn't a viable option for me because I am blind and don't have access to the proper tools with safety mods, so my next sub will have to be a manufactured model. I still love my current Hsu sub, but I've pretty much decided that my next sub will be sealed. I am a long, long way from that upgrade, but I like to research upgrades even when I know that the next one is years away. Right now, your subs are at the top of my list because, like my Ascend speakers, they seem to fit my philosophy of accuracy as a top priority.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

Cylinder subwoofer is not a main stream design and it is often used in vented subs as they can easily extend at one dimension to accommodate vent pipes for vented sub. If you check Hsu and SVS, they use cylinder subs to start their business, but eventually all settle on box enclosures for their main stream products. That says a lot. It is cost effective (because it is light-weight), but there is a bottleneck (or performance ceiling). If one really want to make cylinder subs, I would recommend drum shelf plywood. They come with various ply numbers and thickness. I would say 3/4" thickness is the minimal. It is definitely heavier and stiffer than sonotubes (which is paper based) that most DIYer are recommended. Due to its supply/manufacturing difficulty, we don't plan to offer any cylinder subwoofer.

Brian