PDA

View Full Version : Reservations Concerning a Recent Purchase

indulger
03-14-2010, 11:04 AM
I need some suggestions on a recent purchase which I'm having reservations on. I recently purchased a D15SE sub because of all the fabulous reviews and of course I wanted it. Then, after the purchase, I came across some comments about down firing subs on hard wood floors. I have a cement slap foundation with wood floors on top. I read about down firing subs having a bad acoustical effect on wood floors. :confused:

The D15's are currently out of stock so I may have a day or two to possible change my mind and get a front firing sub. I looked at the subdudes and gamma pads as a possible solution, however, their sizes do not match the configuration of the D15's. Any and all comments or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

RythmikAudio
03-14-2010, 01:03 PM
My personal view is the subfloor is more important. If you have a concrete/cement subfloor, then it is ok. If you have a wood subfloor, then you have to do some stomp test to find a good place to place the sub.

indulger
03-14-2010, 02:43 PM
Thank you sir for the reply. That's what I was confused with. Now with reservations aside, quit wasting time on here and get that sub shipped!:D

fordf250
03-15-2010, 06:13 AM
Auralex makes a professional isolater,"great gramma"; 19X30X2.75 thick, 350lb capacity. The unit works very well on wood floors-I have one under my D15SE-if you center the D15, you only have 6" excess on each side. The unit is available from Sweetwater.com for a really excellent price-and Fedex shipping is included. Hope this helps you out.

indulger
03-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks, I must have over looked the Great Gamma!

fordf250
03-15-2010, 06:01 PM
Side light concerning Great Gramma-according to Auralex, Gramma is short for
"Gig and Recording,Amp and Monitor, Modulation Attenuator"-guess they didn't want to create confusion over family trees,etc.

pogiboy
03-16-2010, 07:53 PM
My personal view is the subfloor is more important. If you have a concrete/cement subfloor, then it is ok. If you have a wood subfloor, then you have to do some stomp test to find a good place to place the sub.

To be clear, are you also implying that regular carpet on top of concrete subfloor will be ok too, right? Won't there be a little loss of sound because of the absorption of carpet?

RythmikAudio
03-16-2010, 08:08 PM
To be clear, are you also implying that regular carpet on top of concrete subfloor will be ok too, right? Won't there be a little loss of sound because of the absorption of carpet?

Carpet and fabric do not have very good absorption at low frequency (namely, below 100hz). In other words, they are not effective in absorbing low frequency energy. If you do a bit google and search for effective low frequency absorbing material, they don't exist. Those who build bass trap use a lot of glass fiber roll and condense them in there. So carpet over concrete is not a problem.

pogiboy
03-17-2010, 07:11 AM
Carpet and fabric do not have very good absorption at low frequency (namely, below 100hz). In other words, they are not effective in absorbing low frequency energy. If you do a bit google and search for effective low frequency absorbing material, they don't exist. Those who build bass trap use a lot of glass fiber roll and condense them in there. So carpet over concrete is not a problem.

Thanks for the answer, I learned something new today.

indulger
03-17-2010, 01:13 PM
I just ordered a great gramma to have on hand just in case. Even if not needed, it makes it look like I know what i'm doing;)