PDA

View Full Version : Soon to be Sierra owner

tannewt
02-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Hi all,
I just graduated from college and got a real job. Therefore, I'm looking at upgrading my speakers and receiver in my home theater. I've been reading great things about the Sierra-1s and have decided to get Sierra's for my LCR and 170SE's for my surrounds. I'll be listening to TV, Movies and Video Games more than music although I'm eager to hear what my music sounds like on the Sierras. Two things I haven't decided on are which sub to get, either the F12 or the F15, and what receiver to buy. Is the biggest deciding factor on sub size the room size? My budget can go upwards of $1000 for each piece but I ant to make sure I'm not spending extra money for little improvement. I've been eyeing the Pioneer SC-25 but have yet to figure out how much I could actually get it for rather than its MSRP. I'm also interested in the HK receivers but need to make sure my PS3 will play nice with them. Any suggestions for my receiver? Tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

cjs982
02-23-2010, 05:33 AM
My research lead me to the Pioneer SC-25, which matches up extremely well with the Sierra-1's. Most music would not necessarily warrant adding a sub if you go this route, however, movies are much more dynamic if you do. Incidently, I have the exact speaker system you are getting. Boy, are you in for a treat!

aggieactuary
02-23-2010, 07:23 AM
Typically room size is the main factor for wattage on the subwoofer. The larger the room, the more watts you'll want.

I think the speaker size on the subwoofer is more about whether extension (low) or definition (speed, clarity) is a bigger concern. Also, be carefully about just reading specs on subwoofers. That tells very little of the story.

There are others with much more knowledge, though. So, hopefully they will respond.

I recently ordered the Rythmik F12. I'll tell you how it sounds when it gets here, but from everything I've read, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

As far as receivers go, I have the Pioneer VSX-1019 and I'm very happy with it (I'm pairing the Sierra-1's with that). I'm sure the extra cash will get you a better amp, maybe a better DAC, and some neat features.

tannewt
02-23-2010, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the responses! cjs982, I'm thinking I'll splurge on the SC-25 unless something better comes up. I looked at the UMC-1 to pair with an amp but it seems like they've had a ton of problems. Plus I don't want to wait for mine. :-) aggieactuary, Thanks for the answer. My room is on the bigger side at 12' x 20' ish so I think I'll go for the bigger sub. I imagine theres not a whole lot of difference between the two. I've read good things about the 1019 but have also read good things about the IcePower in the SC-25. I might just spend the extra bit for it. :-)

curtis
02-23-2010, 08:47 AM
Typically room size is the main factor for wattage on the subwoofer. The larger the room, the more watts you'll want.

Wattage is not usually a good indicator of output differences between two dissimilar subwoofers.

But yes, room size is the main factor in judging need in subwoofer output, as well as listening preferences.