PDA

View Full Version : I love my setup!

curtis
06-01-2004, 03:59 PM
Tom!!! You FINALLY got your setup! Congratulations!

-curtis

tomes
06-01-2004, 09:43 PM
Hi Curtis!!

Yes, I've been tinkering with it for a little while, and I'm so happy that I listened to your advice :) I can't imagine any other speakers sounding better at this price level!

-Tom

curtis
06-02-2004, 01:31 AM
No matter what advice I gave (how long has it been?), I am just glad you got something that you like.

I think I was reading posts from you about Ascend before I even got mine.

-curtis

tomes
06-02-2004, 06:04 AM
Yes, I had them on the shortlist pretty early. <G> It took me a long time to get them, but it was worth the wait!

-Tom

Gregisme
06-02-2004, 10:43 AM
cool. thanks for sharing.

Now that you hear much more detail with your TV viewing, are you sometimes annoyed by any inadequecies you are hearing from your source materials? I'm mostly talking your TV/Cable/Satellite sources, but feel free to expand on this topic if you would like.

(I remember someone else who was complaining about it, but I forget who it was.. he hasn't posted in some time so I'm not sure if he returned his speakers or if the problems were resolved).

tomes
06-03-2004, 10:11 PM
Hi,

Maybe to some degree, in the sense that the sound coming from the Dish is comparable to MP3 rather than cd, but I still find it much better than before.

I can pick up Dialogue much easier, at lower volumes, and hear things I could never notice before.

-Tom

Gregisme
06-04-2004, 12:36 AM
I think the complaint was more of the "buzzing, crackling, humming, etc." variety. The guy who bought his Ascends was posting here, complaining about it and I think it was determined that this was just a natural result of a speaker with such high detail (that it would expose flaws more easily).

Then again, I've also read owners who say that these speakers still make somewhat marginal recordings sound good. so who knows...

curtis
06-04-2004, 12:47 AM
I think it is all in the source.

A good example for me would be some recordings from Eva Cassidy. You can definitely tell they are not top notch recordings, but they still sound very good.

A speaker should faithfully reproduce what is fed to them, and I think Ascends to just that.

-curtis

Gregisme
06-04-2004, 01:59 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by curtis
..... and I thin Ascends to just that.

-curtis

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

lets hope the new website allows us poor proofreaders to amend our posts after the fact.[:p]

curtis
06-04-2004, 02:18 AM
This forum does and I did. [:D] I don't think the new website will have a forum.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Gregisme

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by curtis
..... and I thin Ascends to just that.

-curtis

lets hope the new website allows us poor proofreaders to amend our posts after the fact.[:p]

-curtis

Gregisme
06-04-2004, 02:36 AM
I don't know why I assumed that the forum would be part of the new site. my bad.

I never noticed that you can amend messages. I'll have a look after I post this..

curtis
06-04-2004, 02:53 AM
it is the pencil and paper icon.

-curtis

Gregisme
06-04-2004, 03:04 AM
yep. I found it. (You must have added it as a feature at some point, as it wasn't always available, and of course, I would never make a mistake. [:D] )

curtis
06-04-2004, 03:06 AM
Nope...it has been there from day one.

-curtis

Gregisme
06-04-2004, 03:37 AM
one mistake in a lifetime still ain't bad though.

twalker294
06-05-2004, 06:22 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Gregisme

cool. thanks for sharing.

Now that you hear much more detail with your TV viewing, are you sometimes annoyed by any inadequecies you are hearing from your source materials? I'm mostly talking your TV/Cable/Satellite sources, but feel free to expand on this topic if you would like.

(I remember someone else who was complaining about it, but I forget who it was.. he hasn't posted in some time so I'm not sure if he returned his speakers or if the problems were resolved).

I've definitely noticed exactly what you are talking about. I have the Home Media option on my Tivo and I use it mainly for streaming MP3s off my PC and through my living room audio system. Before I got the Ascends (I had a set of Klipsch Quintets before,) I was impressed at the quality of the MP3s compared to a CD in my living room -- I could hear a little difference but it wasn't that significant. Now that I have the Ascends, CDs sound better than I ever knew they could and comparitively, the MP3s through the Tivo sound awful.

Good speakers really bring out the deficiencies of the source material. I can now EASILY hear the differences from one CD to another whereas before it was difficult to do so.

Todd

tomes
06-06-2004, 01:36 PM
I definitely agree. One can easily hear the difference between cd's and mp3's etc, but I would say that all in all, it is mostly that I can enjoy a cd much more now than before, not that the mp3 sounds so much worse.

I do notice weaknesses though, but nothing I can't live with. Can't really blame my system for being good and honest :)

Gregisme
06-06-2004, 04:01 PM
ok, based on your responses here, even though you guys can much more easily hear deficiences, whether it be from mp3 sources, and I assume by extention.. marginal recording quality on certain cds or even poor broadcast sources, you can live with those deficiences, but they are just that more noticable.

I am certainly used to marginal sound so I can probably live with it as well.

(I mostly wondered if it might be better for me to consider a speaker that's more forgiving or smoother as alot of my cds are merely adequate recordings, or live bootlegs with the occasional crackle 'n pop and other assorted deficiancies).

I like the idea of easily being able to tell if something is mp3 sourced, as it's a big no-no in the trading communities to trade mp3 sourced bootlegs. There are probably lots of speakers out there capable of this revelation however, since the speakers I'm living with right now are of the Crackerjack box variety. [:D]