PDA

View Full Version : new to Ascend and high quality audio

aggieactuary
01-22-2010, 06:36 AM
howdy! I'm fairly new to high end audio. I recently decided to upgrade my sony towers that I got 10 years ago as a gift from my brother (Thanks Bro!). I've been researching for a while and I think I've settled on Ascend speakers.

I'm a pretty music fan. It's really a little surprising I waited this long to upgrade to some higher quality speakers. I love great films, too.

My music and films tastes are all over the board. I like music from Billy Joe Shaver to The Dirty Projectors to Kid Cudi to Toots and the Maytals, and movies go from Dead Man to Waking Life to Hud to Life Aquatic.

I love reading, as well. So, if anyone wants to trade book recommendations, I'm up for it.

davef
01-28-2010, 01:57 AM
Welcome to the forum Aggie!

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Take care!

aggieactuary
01-28-2010, 07:04 AM
Thanks Dave.

I do have a qestion, and I'm not sure if it would be better posted here or in the loudspeaker section. I'll ask it here, but let me know if I should move it there.

I'm probably going to get a pair of Sierra-1 fronts soon, and I'm trying to decide whether to add a Sierra-1 center or a Rythmik F12 subwoofer. I plan to get the whole 5.1 with Sierras and the F12, but I need to put it together piecemeal due to budget constraints.

So, my question is this: should I get the subwoofer or the center first?

I'm more concerned with music than movies. So, I'm wondering which will add the most to my music listening right now, a Rythmik sub or a Sierra-1 center.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

DougMac
02-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Without knowing any more about your particular setup, I'd recommend going with the subwoofer first since you say you're more interested in music than in movies.

I've had a 2.1 setup in one form or another for over 20 years. I've never heard the Sierras and I've read they have wonderful bass extension, yet I think especially with a servo sub they'll sound even better by letting the sub do the low bass heavy lifting.

What kind of receiver do you have? I think all modern AV receivers allow you to run a phantom center channel. If you have a normal room setup, the phantom center will be perfectly adequate until you can afford a center. You may even find you want to add surrounds next, that would have a bigger impact on your movie watching.

aggieactuary
02-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Thanks DougMac.

Dave replied by email and said basically the same thing.

So, I placed my order for the Sierra-1 front pair, the Rythmik F12 and the SP-30 stands.

I can't wait!

aggieactuary
02-11-2010, 06:25 AM
They arrived! They sound great and look great!

Thanks to everyone at Ascend. You guys are doing some amazing work over there.