PDA

View Full Version : low end performance

jerryj
01-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Hi, new to forum, just set up my HT with 340 SE across the front (on stands) with 170 surrounds. Budget system so I am using a Klipsch powered sub that I already had. System performance on the bottom end is pretty wildly variable from boomy to weak depending upon source material. Should I set the crossover lower for the Ascends and attempt to get more low end out of them rather than rely upon the sub - or will I end up with both trying to supply frequency from 60 and below?

curtis
01-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Seems like the sub level needs to be re-calibrated, and/or try different locations for it.

jerryj
01-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Made some changes, minor tweaks to speaker size settings and crossover frequency cutoffs on receiver - but, big thing was changing the music source. Was using a Toshiba DVD recorder as CD player - great low cost HDTV tuner and OK DVD - not so great music player. Brought down my old Denon DCM-370 CD and used that (digital) letting my receiver process and what a difference, not fabulous, but certainly way better sound now. Still a lot of calibration to do for certain.

davef
01-22-2010, 12:24 AM
I would recommend acquiring an inexpensive SPL meter and audio test disc. You can then take some basic room measurements and determine what low-frequency ranges are problematic. It is much easier to make reocommendations from there.

jerryj
02-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Dave,

I did get an analog SPL and made some adjustments. System balance is nice now and low end is punchy and clean. Contrary to a lot of what I have read I have all 3 fronts set as "large" with frequency set at 40hz and I do not detect any clash between the subwoofer (80hz) and the mains. Music listening is mostly stereo with the sub active - and the longer I have the 340's the better they seem to sound. Also filled the stands with sand which I also think made a difference in overall room sound quality. Liking them better the more I listen. Movies on Blu Ray with 5.1 (340's front and 170's rear) are quite nice. Thinking about buying some hi-rez music on blu-ray to enjoy.