PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Vancouver, BC!

Karura
01-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Hi! I have been lurking around the forums for some time now ever since I heard about the Sierra-1s from a friend, but I finally created an account a few weeks ago.

I am very interested in discovering more about speaker setups and hopefully will own my very first 2.1 Ascend setup in the near future!

I hope everyone will not hesitate to lend a hand to this new comrade in this intriguing world of speakers. :)

Kucimat
01-11-2010, 04:09 PM
It's really more of an addiction than anything else! :) My path to the Sierra-1s was pretty tortured. It started with purchasing a really nice 55-inch Samsung LCD TV last year and then realizing that all my old AV stuff (Aiwa HTIB system my wife had purchased for me on her own 11-years prior) wouldn't work with the TV. So I purchased an Onkyo receiver...the lowest model that could accomodate HDMI cables...and, after very little research, an Energy Take 5-1 setup. Within the course of the next month, I took the receiver back, got the next model up, took that one back and got the best model of Onkyo made at the time...the 906. Then I sold the Energy Take speakers and purchased the Energy RC-Micro set and a Mirage sub. These were really nice speakers but couldn't fill our rather large room with good sound. Those got sold shortly and I purchased 4 X Energy RC-Mini speakers and a RC-Mini Center and kept the Mirage sub. I was still trying to cater to the WAF at that time but gave up and sold the Minis within 2-weeks, purchasing instead 4 X Energy RC-10s, an Energy RC-LCR Center and a SVS PB10-NSD sub (which is awesome btw). I had this last set up for nearly a year before thinking I could do better in the dialogue at low levels department for home theatre applications (we have a 5-year old who goes to bed at 8PM so we can't play stuff at reference levels very often). This time I did my research and landed on the Sierra-1s. I've got five of them showing up on Wednesday and I'm hoping for great things. As a fellow newbie, welcome, and be mindful of the addicting nature of upgrading speaker packages! :)

cjs982
01-14-2010, 08:40 AM
I realize the addiction, so I went for the Sierra-1's hoping slow down the march! Since my stereo days, this is my first foray into serious surround. I bought an inexpensive Magnavox HTIB six years ago that gave up the ghost last year. My age was the reason to skip the growing steps back to good sound: my last REAL sound system was midrange Pioneer stereo amp and Dual turntable in 1972.