PDA

View Full Version : My Parents have Ascends....

Lou-the-dog
05-24-2004, 12:22 PM
Curtis, I'm sure there's some personal satisfaction in taking part in rekindling your parents enjoyment of music. Knowing that the Ascends were part of making someone else happy also puts a smile on my face too. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Randy

curtis
05-24-2004, 02:05 PM
Randy, talked to my Mom today and she said my Dad was very happy...and yes it does feel good. Last night my aunt and uncle were at the house and my uncle grabbed some CDs from his car to give the system a test. Mom said that he wants to get a pair, but my aunt said he had to finish some other things first.

My Dad today even purchased the used set of of CBM-170's and nice stands from Audiogon today...I helped facilitate. He is excited about getting the HT setup.

The fun part will be teaching him how to use an HT receiver instead of his two=channel receiver.

-curtis

curtis
07-20-2004, 03:51 AM
Hey...here is an update on my Parents' setup.

They just took delivery of thier custom entertainment center. Here is a picture of it at the shop:

http://www.thechangs.us/ec.JPG

The big opening was designed to hold a 50" Samsung DLP or 50" Sony LCD later this year. A CMT-340 will be ordered soon to sit on the glass shelf above that opening.

-curtis

Gregisme
07-20-2004, 04:14 AM
sweet!

how much does something like that go for, going custom like that?
Are you saving money by going direct and eliminating the furntiure store markups? Or, does the extra cost of having something custom made negate that benefit?

curtis
07-20-2004, 05:17 AM
It cost them about $2K.

I have not seen it upclose yet, but knowing my Parents, I am sure it is of pretty high quality.

They saw something they liked at the shop, and then asked for something similar but to their own specifications. My Father showed me drawings 6 weeks ago. Looking at furniture costs at stores, I think they got a pretty good deal.

-curtis

Gregisme
07-20-2004, 05:44 AM
sounds like a very good price. I've got a unit coming that's not that dissimilar to the bottom half of your parents custom unit, and it's costing me $1750, pre-tax & shipping. It's a standard design, but they individually make them, I guess. It's made of crosscut oak, which may or may not be more expensive than the wood used in your parents unit, I don't know.

It's taking forever to arrive, hence, part of my delay in finally getting some sort of system set up.[V]

curtis
07-20-2004, 05:47 AM
Looks like it would be about the same price...my Parents' cost is with tax and delivery. I am not exactly sure of the kind of wood or finish that was used.

Please post pics of yours when it arrives.

-curtis

Mag_Neato
07-20-2004, 05:58 AM
Makes me ashamed of my $200 IKEA setup [:I]

Ed

Gregisme
07-20-2004, 08:58 AM
Don't feel so bad. I saw a guy over avsforum post a picture of the wall unit that sits below his wall mounted plasma, and it looked nice. Very simple wood unit, adapted from a shelving system from Ikea. It looked modern and sleek, and cost a whole lot less than what I'm spending for mine..

Made me want to cancel my order (too late) and do something like that too. Granted, it had less storage space, at least in the configuration that he was using.

Curtis - I'll definitely share pics when I get things relatively in order.. just as long as you guys promise not to laugh at my 20" 17 year old TV! (I'll be jumping to a 42" plasma within a year, so I guess I can tolerate a little deserved sarcasm). [:I]

Lou-the-dog
07-20-2004, 10:08 AM
Those old TV's just never die. Was waiting and waiting for my 27" Zenith console (that we bought with our wedding money) to die and it just wouldn't. I really wanted to be able to say, "gheez the TV just shelled out and I guess we'll just HAVE to buy a new one...OH DARN!" Finally gave up on the "death watch" because it just wasn't going to happen and convinced the better half that we "NEEDED" the Mits.

Randy

Gregisme
07-20-2004, 11:37 AM
Randy - similar situation here. the damn thing won't die!

Back when I bought it, I splurged on a Mitsubishi TV that was considered among the cream of the crop. There were 25" & 27" TVs around too (and gosh those 27" TVs seemed big!), but they were beyond my budget at the time and 20" seemed plenty big for my first TV purchase. Turns out to have been my ONLY TV purchase, as here I am rapidly approaching my fourth decade on the planet.

ah well, it's all or nothing for me.

I guess that I just don't like to spend money, or more precisely, I like to spend money in the most perfect way possible for the budget I decide upon. So after insane levels of contemplation, when I finally do figure out what I want... look out! I go INSANE!! Hence, my soon-to-be 20" to 42" plasma jump. Or, my second hand boombox-like stereo "system" of the past and 'play only through the computer or cheap car stereo' present, soon-to-be replaced by a $2000 home stereo system! No in-betweens for this guy! [:D]

Lou-the-dog
07-20-2004, 12:02 PM
Greg, I think you and I are very similiar in regards to our spending habits...don't spend often but when we do...GO FOR IT! I'd rather milk along my old stuff for awhile longer until something comes along that really impresses me. I think that is why the Ascends fit my style so well.

Randy

Gregisme
07-20-2004, 12:21 PM
Yes, for me it's the old "if I wait juuust a little longer, the thing that I really want might come along or it already exists, but I decide I must wait for the price to come down because it's the ONLY thing that will satisfy me. Sometimes it's a matter of looking too closely, thinking too much and eventually finding flaws in the item I want, so of course, the search must begin anew.

What starts out as a 3-6 month researching/shopping project, turns into a multi-year obsession with few reasonable solutions to tide my over in-between.[xx(]

curtis
07-20-2004, 01:02 PM
Just talked to my Parents. My Dad corrected me on the cost, it is $2800! Yow. Also, he wanted a small change, so it will be finished next week.

-curtis

Gregisme
07-20-2004, 01:35 PM
Oh good! Now I don't feel so bad about what I'm paying for mine. (Thinking as I was that your parents were getting about twice the size of display for the same price as mine was a little hard for me to take! [:0] )

frankd28
07-22-2004, 04:15 AM
That unit makes me realize how strong glass can be with the long span and cantilevered shelves.

curtis
07-22-2004, 04:40 AM
Yes...glass can be pretty strong. That said, I spoke to my Dad about it again, they probably won't sit the CMT-340 on the glass shelf.

Welcome to the forum.

-curtis

curtis
08-24-2004, 02:56 PM
Update on my Parents. The entertainment center is in place. The CMT-340m's are setup. By the way, this is the first time I have seen the custom stands upclose, and I really like the look,very integrated. I think I would prefer them to my custom maple stands. They were using some nice metal stands that they got with used CBM-170's they bought

Here is a picture. You can see the center channel sitting by itself in the left corner of the room, an STF-2 for the time being in the right corner. The 27" TV will be replaced by either a 50" or 60" DLP/LCD/LCoS type unit. The antenna on top looks tacky, but that is for a wireless microphone system...karaoke. That is my old HK525 in the entertainment center. Not finished yet, but it is getting there...I have fun playing music when I am there.
http://www.thechangs.us/closeec.jpg

-curtis

Eddie Horton
08-25-2004, 12:40 AM
That entertainment center looks fantastic!

metalaaron
08-25-2004, 02:29 AM
beautiful. i'm sure they love it. can't wait to see it w/ a DLP.
a company my dad works for makes some amazing furniture as well.

www.creativeartsinc.com (click on Portfolio)
he's helped on several of those projects. he built the trolleys. they're immaculate.

curtis
08-25-2004, 03:00 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by metalaaron

......can't wait to see it w/ a DLP.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

When they get that new TV.....I will be SO jealous. Apparently, a 60" Samsung would fill that space completely from side to side....half inch spill over on the right side, but you would not be able to tell. My Dad has already scoped it out. [:)]

-curtis

frankd28
08-25-2004, 04:46 AM
I think I recognize the TV they do have. It's a 12 year old 27" Sony that works so well they don't know what to do with it. I have one in the basement on PS2 duty for my little ones.

A 60" Sammy would be a great accessory for that TV stand!

M3_Pete
08-25-2004, 04:57 AM
That wall unit sort of looks like mine right now. Giant opening with a small TV in it. Waiting on the new Sammy DLPs that are due to arrive in October/November. I am techno challenged (cant't figure out how to post a photo) so here is a link:

http://www.plummers.com/?page=shop/flypage&page_back=shop/category_items&offset=6&product_id=988&category_id=1daa0d19ea4b945e437120f02c136ddd&ps_session=297fb96fd22eb15503e5e950efc63042

Mine is a medium dark cherry finish, not the maple shown. But it has the glass doors, drawers, etc. just as shown in the photo (you can order without those items for lower cost). I opted for the expandable opening so I can get the 100-inch plasma when they drop to $1000 (in 20 years ...). Total cost for the wall unit was just over a grand, I'm pretty happy with it so far.

pegleg
08-25-2004, 05:34 AM
Curtis,
Their set-up interests me. I assume they sit about where the photo was taken, so that the left speaker is closer than the right, and along the left side wall?
I hadn't thought of doing such a thing (putting the center channel left of the TV). Does this arrangement (if my "read" is correct) sound ok?
Thanks,

Pegleg

curtis
08-25-2004, 05:48 AM
The picture was taken by Dad...and he was off to the side. The "seats" are actually between the left and right speakers. The center channel will actually sit on top of the TV.

-curtis

DavidD
08-25-2004, 06:23 AM
When they get their DLP, how will they mount the center channel on the TV? The DLP sets don't have much real estate on the top. Or will it be on the shelf near the top?

curtis
08-25-2004, 06:48 AM
The glass shelf sitting in the big opening is adjustable. The thought is to adjust that shelp to be ontop of the TV, and the center on the shelf. If it does not rest on the TV, the probably some wood for reinforcement with the center on it.

-curtis

davef
08-25-2004, 08:44 AM
Curtis,

Your folk's setup looks awesome. I can't wait for my kid to get a bit older so we can finally put away all those toys and redo our setup...

Send your parents my best...

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
www.ascendacoustics.com

curtis
08-25-2004, 09:29 AM
My kids are 7 and 5....toys can still be found in the livingroom. The great thing is they have always been very good about not messing around with the equipment. I do worry about the front firing VTF-3, their little knees have come close to going through the driver a couple of times while hanging around it.

-curtis

DavidD
08-25-2004, 01:53 PM
David,

If you want a really popular product for people like us, introduce a line of speakers that sound like Ascends, but are kid-proof. Mine are mostly past that stage now - mostly - but not to worry would be great. I can dream, anyway.