PDA

View Full Version : Decoupling...

flux73
12-15-2009, 12:55 PM
So I have my order in for a pair of Sierra fronts and a center. I'll be putting them directly on a media center cabinet that has a glass top. It's not a glass shelf. It's a sheet of glass on top of a wood cabinet to protect to the wood.

I would like to set it up to reduce resonant vibrations as much as possible so I'm thinking of ways I can decouple the speakers as much as possible from the glass surface b/c I'm guessing that a stiff bamboo cabinet on stiff glass would be less than ideal. I've read about MoPADs but I really dislike the way they look. What I'm wondering is if anyone else has any experience with this issue, has experimented with different materials, and has an opinion on what works best? I've been considering using cheap polyurethane mouse pads, silicone pads, cork pads, or even making my own custom sized bean bags and filling it with sand or some other material. But I'm not an engineer so I don't really know if certain materials are far superior/inferior for vibration damping.

Thoughts? Opinions? Does it even matter that much?

Thanks!

curtis
12-15-2009, 02:00 PM
The Sierra cabinet is pretty inert....it doesn't vibrate much, if at all. The pads you mentioned will all be fine.

What you want to do is minimize the reflections off of the glass top. To do that, move the speaker so that that the front of it is at least flush with the front edge of the top.

Blutarsky
06-06-2011, 08:15 AM
I always use blue museum putty. Keeps my speakers in place and dampens vibrations.

scape
06-22-2011, 12:36 PM
i know this is an old post, but i thought i'd throw in my 2 cents. I use cabinet protective material, typically used for placing dishes and glassware ontop of. I place cutouts under my speakers to protect them from scratching of the material they sit on, reduce any sort of possible vibration from an uneven surface such as an older wood top, and to keep them in place-- they eventually lightly stick to the material, but can be easily peeled off. I got it at lowes, it's a rubbery sort of material.