PDA

View Full Version : Master and Commander -- holy cow!

metalaaron
05-23-2004, 04:05 AM
the sound effects on master and commander are pretty awesome. my favorite system showoff disc is still saving private ryan. storming the beach does it every time. pretty wicked.

on another note: i thought that master and commander wasn't very good, but that doesn't make the sound any worse. just not as enjoyable all together. ;) the last good movie i rented that still put on a good display/performance was The last samurai. i thought it was pretty cool. the sword fights can really show off those tweeters. hehe

Dave G
05-23-2004, 08:03 AM
Well, we also have Master and Commander from Netflix and we plan to watch it tonight. Sounds like we have a consensus on the movie's sound effects, if not on the movie itself. I really hope the movie suits me and that metalaaron's negative review is just a matter of taste. :-) I'm a BIG fan of Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series of books that is the basis for the movie (they somehow melded together the stories from first and tenth books of the 20-book series) and I sure hope they haven't screwed it up. Sometimes they do screw it up (have you ever watched Dune?) and sometimes they don't (the Lord of the Rings trilogy, for instance). We'll see.

Dave

metalaaron
05-23-2004, 10:26 AM
cool. let us know if you liked the movie. i just didn't like it, but that's me. :)
i'm REALLY anticipating The Day After Tomorrow. that's bound to have some killer sound effects.

Lou-the-dog
05-23-2004, 11:40 AM
Actually I really liked M&C. It seemed that there was intense action scenes separated by some rather lengthy periods of not much going on but I think this was intended to illustrate what it really was like on war ships of this era. I think it is a movie that grows on you and warrants a replay to fully appreciate. If you need action at every second of the movie then M&C may not impress.

Randy

Ron B
05-23-2004, 08:01 PM
I love the Patrick O'Brian books but thought that the movie was only "good." The other 2 guys I went to see the movie with thought the movie was great, however. They had never read the books. I think most people who've read the books are disappointed because no great book(s) can be brought to life in a movie. That being said, TLOTR came pretty close.

tomes
06-01-2004, 12:24 PM
The Ascends do a great job on this movie, and if any of you are contemplating buying HSU's VTF3 MK2, I'd highly recommend it...The Bass when the canon balls are flying is insane. I seriously thought my house would be demolished..

oontahey
06-08-2004, 05:25 AM
I have not read the books but I loved this movie. The sound is incredible.