PDA

View Full Version : VLSI Anti-Mode 8033 anyone?

bk_856er
10-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Anyone have any experience integrating the VLSI Anti-Mode 8033 auto EQ device with a Rhythmik sub?

I started to go down the path of REW, but I'm not sure that I have the time/energy to make a hobby out of it!

The 8033 looks appealing on paper.

BK

curtis
10-27-2009, 01:58 PM
I do....works great.

REW is good to have for taking measurements, but you will still need something to do the EQing.

BWG707
10-28-2009, 08:49 AM
I do....works great.

REW is good to have for taking measurements, but you will still need something to do the EQing.

If your room is treated fairly well (acoustic panels) will there still be a noticeable difference using the Antimode. The room is small- 10'x12'x8'.

curtis
10-28-2009, 10:09 AM
If your room is treated fairly well (acoustic panels) will there still be a noticeable difference using the Antimode. The room is small- 10'x12'x8'.
Have you taken FR measurements of the subwoofer in the room?

Unless the acoustic panels are designed for bass (ie. hugely thick) they won't do much for bass response.

bk_856er
11-30-2009, 12:30 AM
I'm finally getting my feet wet with REW measurements using a calibrated mic, USB soundcard, etc. Below is one example of one listening position (D15SE+Sierras crossed at 70hz+Audyssey). Would my situation benefit from an 8033 or BFD? Seems I don't have any profound room issues. Love to hear some opinions!

BK

http://i49.tinypic.com/2dbp92h.jpg

curtis
11-30-2009, 07:52 AM
That actually looks pretty good. Audessey does a good job EQing the bass, I wouldn't use another filter after it. Multiple EQ/filters after one another is not a good idea IMO.

bk_856er
11-30-2009, 09:19 AM
That actually looks pretty good. Audessey does a good job EQing the bass, I wouldn't use another filter after it. Multiple EQ/filters after one another is not a good idea IMO.

Thanks for the feedback! I think if I did go with a sub EQ device such as the 8033 or BFD, I would apply that first and then run Audyssey second. My understanding is that Audyssey (just MultEQ in my case) would then do very little or nothing to the low frequencies since they would be mostly ironed out.

BK

curtis
11-30-2009, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the feedback! I think if I did go with a sub EQ device such as the 8033 or BFD, I would apply that first and then run Audyssey second. My understanding is that Audyssey (just MultEQ in my case) would then do very little or nothing to the low frequencies since they would be mostly ironed out.

It would still be applying filters to an area that already has filters applied....it doesn't matter how big or small the adjustment is.

And with what your graph shows now, you would not hear much difference, if any at all as far as FR is concerned.

For me, it would boil down to what Audyssey is doing to the rest of the speakers, and if I liked it. If I didn't like it, then I would shut it off, and only then would I get something to EQ the bass.

Do you have a graph of what the FR looks like before Audyssey did its thing?

bk_856er
11-30-2009, 10:45 AM
It would still be applying filters to an area that already has filters applied....it doesn't matter how big or small the adjustment is.

And with what your graph shows now, you would not hear much difference, if any at all as far as FR is concerned.

For me, it would boil down to what Audyssey is doing to the rest of the speakers, and if I liked it. If I didn't like it, then I would shut it off, and only then would I get something to EQ the bass.

Do you have a graph of what the FR looks like before Audyssey did its thing?

What you say makes perfect sense. I'm still doing some listening to see how/where I like the Audyssey treatment - currently just a 2.1 setup primarily for music.

I don't have an apples-to-apples curve +/- Audyssey, but at a secondary listening position about 3ft away I recorded the following with Audyssey OFF and the Rythmik PEQ ON/OFF targeting the ~82Hz dip. Just some experimentation on my part. The response is a bit different at the other location and the dips at ~58Hz and ~82Hz are very different there, as shown in the first curve, but this is not something Audyssey fixed -it's a mic location thing. Nonetheless, the curve below is my current best example of "Audyssey OFF" response.

http://i46.tinypic.com/rw0t8j.jpg

curtis
11-30-2009, 11:12 PM
If you live in the Los Angeles area, we could try my Anti-mode and see what it does in your setup. It would be interesting, but I think negligible.

bk_856er
11-30-2009, 11:59 PM
If you live in the Los Angeles area, we could try my Anti-mode and see what it does in your setup. It would be interesting, but I think negligible.

Thanks for the generous offer! Unfortunately I'm in the SF Bay Area, otherwise I would take you up on it. The 8033 is now available in the US, so I may cave in and give one a try, but the BFD also looks very interesting...especially now that I have REW up and running and I like to tweak.

BK

curtis
12-01-2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the generous offer! Unfortunately I'm in the SF Bay Area, otherwise I would take you up on it. The 8033 is now available in the US, so I may cave in and give one a try, but the BFD also looks very interesting...especially now that I have REW up and running and I like to tweak.

If you are a tweaker, then the BFD is certainly the way to go.