PDA

View Full Version : D15SE setup questions

bk_856er
10-15-2009, 10:43 PM
I have a couple of questions about my new Rythmik D15SE and I'm hoping I can get some input:

- I use the "auto" power setting and a single RCA interconnect between the Onkyo TX-NR807 subwoofer output and the sub. Periodically the amp powers off at lowish listening levels and goes into the standby mode with a red LED. I presume this is due to insufficient input signal within a 30min period and not a malfunction. Fronts are crossed at 80Hz and the sub level is at about 2o'clock. Other sub settings are per the Rythmik recommendations. I have not done any system-wide level setting or eq yet, so things might change after I do that, but is there otherwise anything I can do to help make sure that the sub stays powered up, short of the "always on" setting? Would applying signal to both sub inputs with a Y-connector help with this?

- I noticed a very slight hiss coming from the Sierras since I introduced the sub yesterday. The hiss is present even with the AVR muted. It goes away if I unplug the sub power or sub interconnect. I tried a cheap RCA interconnect and a shielded video cable with the same results. It is independent of the power state of the sub (off/auto/on slider positions and red or green LED). Each and every one of my system power cords is plugged into a tripp-lite isobar HT10 powerstrip. I tried the "isolated" and "non-isolated" outlets for sub power and it made no difference. Is this a "ground loop" and if so how do I minimize it? I thought having everything plugged into the same strip would provide the same ground offset for all the equipment? It is a VERY slight hiss and not a major deal, just to keep things in perspective.

- Any reason not to purchase a 15ft Blue-Jeans LC-1 shielded interconnect?

- I love this sub! :D

BK

curtis
10-15-2009, 11:09 PM
For the auto power on, you can try turning down the gain on the sub, and turning up the sub level on the receiver to see of that helps to keep the sub on. This results in a higher input signal into the sub.

For the hiss....can you try just having the RCA cable plugged into the receiver and not into the sub and see if the hiss is still there?

I use Blue Jeans interconnects...great quality.

bk_856er
10-15-2009, 11:17 PM
For the auto power on, you can try turning down the gain on the sub, and turning up the sub level on the receiver to see of that helps to keep the sub on. This results in a higher input signal into the sub.

For the hiss....can you try just having the RCA cable plugged into the receiver and not into the sub and see if the hiss is still there?

That makes sense on the input signal.

Yes, I was not clear in my description, but when I "unplugged" the interconnect it was only at the sub end and the hiss stopped.

BK

bk_856er
10-19-2009, 09:56 PM

Two thumbs up on the BJ LC1 interconnect. Emailed them a quesiton Thurs pm, got some answers Fri, submitted an order shortly thereafter and have the goods in my hands on a Monday. The cable is very thick and flexible and it just feels right. I didn't expect it to do anything for my sub-induced mains hiss (it didn't) but I've been reading up on ground loop issues and I think I have some good leads to follow up...if that fails a Jensen audio isolator might be next on the list.

BK

bk_856er
10-26-2009, 08:02 PM
Just wanted to close the loop on this:

- I upped the subwoofer trim on the AVR and now the sub automatically powers on/off no problem. Sounds better, too. Still need to formally set it up, but I wanted to first sort out the issue below.

- Routed two satellite lines through the Isobar HT10 strip F connectors and out to some new Belden RF cables from BJC that arrived today. The mains hiss is GONE! I have to assume that this was a subtle ground loop issue due to the three-prong AC plug on the sub and the satellite lines. The dish installation is only a couple of months old and the lines are adequately grounded at premise entry, but the service ground is at the other end of the house. It's all good now with a common ground plane - simple fix.

This is my first sub, but now I understand what all the fuss is about. My son and I watched The Dark Knight the other day and the experience was out of this world. Thanks to Dave for talking me into the D15SE :D

I'm in the process of building an REW setup to get some baseline readings and then let Audyssey work some magic. More good things to come...

BK