PDA

View Full Version : Ascends at low volume?

Ron B
05-11-2004, 01:38 AM
Ed, I just received my 170's yesterday and I tried them out in a room about the same size as yours. I think they sounded great and I don't think you have to listen to them loudly to appreciate them. In fact, the 170's sounded better to me at lower volumes than my other set of B&W speakers because of their clarity. Digital orchestral music especially sounded wonderful.

Ed_A
05-11-2004, 05:22 AM
Thanks Ron,
I saw your review where you compared them with the B&W's...looks like the 170's will be your new speakers. [:)]
It's good to hear that the lower volumes are still articulated well, which is what I'm looking for...good detail at low volumes.

Ed_A
05-12-2004, 11:51 PM
Anybody else have input they can share?

Ron B
05-13-2004, 12:00 AM
Ed, one thing I should mention. I saw Ascend's recommendation about the height of the stands, which I was inclined to downplay and just use my existing 24" stands. I now see (and hear) that it is worthwhile to get taller stands based on my experimentation with them. I would think this is especially important if you listen at low volume levels. Just my opinion.

pegleg
05-13-2004, 02:13 AM
I have them near the ceiling, upside-down, as per Dave F.'s recommendation, and they sound great at low volume. I know lots of speakers cannot sound too clear when turned low (my **** 901s, soon to appear at ebay)are examples.

Pegleg

Ed_A
05-13-2004, 02:24 AM
RonB, thanks for that point. One thing I forgot to mention was that I was thinking of wall hanging these. But if I decide to get stands I'll definitely consider taller stands. Thanks.

Pegleg, thanks for the comment. So your 170's are wall mounted up high? And you flipped them so that the tweeter is below the woofer?

pegleg
05-13-2004, 10:11 PM
Ed_A,
Yes, mine are on "entertainment bookcases" that are near the ceiling (8'). Dave suggested placing them upside-down (I reversed the logo pin, of course) to keep down treble bounce off the ceiling (in non-technicalese).
It's higher than I'd like, but the wife has some say, and it's "livable."

Pegleg