PDA

View Full Version : Which Ascends for new room?

davef
09-08-2003, 12:02 PM
Hi Mrose,

Excellent question!

It is true that the CMT-340 mains have wider horizontal dispersion than our CBM-170. Generally speaking, this is a good thing. However, in a narrow room such as yours this could mean increased reflections off the side walls.

It would be helpful if you could provide me a bit more info:

1. How far back would your listening position be from the front speakers?

2. Assuming you will have the left/right speakers centered in the room, how far apart will you have the left and right speakers from each other?

3. Are the side walls sheet rock and do you have many picures hanging on them, curtains, windows etc. etc.

Thanks in advance!

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
www.ascendacoustics.com

MRose
09-09-2003, 01:46 AM
The front speakers can be from 6-12' from the best listening position, as I have some freedom about setting them further into the room. They will be about five feet from each other and 1 1/2' from the sloped side walls. The side walls themselves will be curtained for the first few feet of the room and sheetrock with pictures the remainder of the room.

My current thoughts are: a CMT 340c, and having the listening position and center all about 10' from the listening position and 5' between left and right CBM 170's. Putting another pair of 170's or 200's a little above ear level some distance behind the listening position on the left and right. Unless, of course, the new 'secret' speaker design would be the perfect solution to this surround set-up.

Thanks for your help.

Michael

davef
09-10-2003, 10:07 AM
Hi Michael,

If you place the CMT-340 mains about 8 feet from the listening position you will be in great shape. Your sidewalls are sloped and this has many acoustic advantages in your room, including reducing sidwall reflections.

I think using the new CMT-340 mains will be an ideal solution in your particular room.

>>Putting another pair of 170's or 200's a little above ear level some distance behind the listening position on the left and right. Unless, of course, the new 'secret' speaker design would be the perfect solution to this surround set-up.

I think in your setup, a direct radiating rear speaker (like our 200 or 170) mounted high on the side walls is your best option for the surrounds. It will be a long while before our new surround is introduced. We like to get things right the very first time :)

Take care!

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
www.ascendacoustics.com

M3_Pete
04-07-2004, 01:51 AM
Dave, I have a fairly square living room, about 15 x 15, with a 10 foot ceiling. On one side I have a dining room whose floor is about 2.5 higher than the living room, but is open to the living room. THere is a 1-foot x 1-foot beam on the ceiling between the two rooms, but otherwise the ceiling is the same level in both rooms (so the ceiling is 10 feet high in teh living room and about 7.5 feet in the dining room, since the dining room steps up).

How would the 340s (or 170s) work in this room as the L/R mains?

davef
04-12-2004, 07:07 AM
Hi M3_Pete,

I apologize for my delay in responding :( ..

Your room is fairly small and our CBM-170s combined with a powered subwoofer will work very well. Our new CMT-340 mains are a step up in performance from our CBM-170s but these are more critical of room placement. If you are able to place these on stands with about 18" clearance behind and to the left and right, you will be in good shape and can enjoy the benefits of this great new speaker. However, if these speakers will located in a fairly closed in space, the CBM-170 would be the way to go.

Please feel free to email directly at davef@ascendacoustics.com

Take care!

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
www.ascendacoustics.com