PDA

View Full Version : DIY - Dual 12s or single 15?

shenlon
07-22-2009, 06:59 PM
So I'm contemplating a foray into the DIY world with a Rythmik subwoofer kit. Currently I'm having trouble deciding on which to go with. My room size is ~3500 ft^3 that includes a kitchen and dining area with an open staircase leading to the second and third floors. I will primarily use this system for HT and gaming and since I live in a townhome, will not be blaring music at reference levels very often. High SQ, dynamic and articulate bass is what i'm looking for and the Rythmik seems like it might be the answer.

Can anyone offer opinions on which sub setup I would be better off with? I'm also considering possibly adding another sub later which is causing me to lean towards the DS1500 for now. This sub will be paired with my Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE L/C/R and CBM-170 and all of it is tied together with a Pioneer Elite SC-05.

natetg57
09-27-2012, 09:08 AM
What did you decide? I've been getting interested in the DS1500 kit.

Dark Ranger
09-27-2012, 10:01 AM
@ natetg57:

You may not get a response from shenlon considering the thread is over three years old. He/she hasn't logged in since July 31, 2009. ;)

If the e-mail address is still active, they might receive a notification depending on forum preferences.

In any case, two subwoofers are usually better than one if they can be placed properly. If you have space for only one Rythmik, a sealed 15" will offer a bit more output over the a sealed 12" version. Both will give superb sound quality. There are several members here who went the DIY option with excellent results.

natetg57
09-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Haha. I didn't notice it was that old. Does Ascend sell the kits? I was surprised how cheap the wood would be. It sounds like a fun project. How do you think the sound quality would compare to my Epik Legend? I also like the idea of being able to fine tune the response.

Dark Ranger
09-27-2012, 01:03 PM
As far as I know, Ascend does not sell the kits directly; they are available only from Rythmik. If this has changed, I would appreciate the correction.

Regarding the Legend: I have not heard that model although it was in my Top Three last year while I was researching subwoofer upgrades. There are many positive recommendations for the Legend. Ultimately, what pushed me to choose Rythmik was the unique servo design, impressive specifications, and the fact that Dave speaks highly of them.

If you're looking for accuracy and sound quality, I believe that Rythmik takes the crown. :)

phlw
10-17-2012, 10:34 PM
Maybe this has been brought up before, but I found this study on the subject to be quite interesting. Though not a perfect test, it probably passes the 80/20 rule on answering this question (ie. the results will probably be correct for 80% listeners' application requirements).

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/subwoofers-4-2-or-1-0