PDA

View Full Version : Center Speaker Placement...

MRose
04-19-2004, 04:44 AM
There are a number of things you can try, such as a shelf on or above the television. What I and many others have done, is get one or two pairs of rubber door stops and put a shelf or the speakers directly on them. It works and is very cheap. I have a similar Wega and have done the same with a center speaker.

loraan
04-19-2004, 11:02 PM
http://www.ascendforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=299

See that thread for my solution.

Johnal
04-20-2004, 01:40 PM
Loraan,
I loved your creativity in solving the dillema we both have been faced with, however... due to a crumby lease agreement, I am not allowed to put any holes in the ceiling or hang anything from it. (Asbestos) I will try and get a picture posted as soon as I can so maybe it can clarify how awkward the situation is. Thank you so much for posting your solution...it was quite helpful. :)

Ron B
04-26-2004, 09:21 AM
I am getting ready to order the Ascend speakers but I had a question. Can you put the center speaker underneath the TV and, if so, does it sound less ideal than if you put it on top of the TV? My stand only has 17" underneath so if I place the 340 center speaker there, it will take up 7.5" and therefore it will only be about 10" off the floor. Is this a bad solution? The stand is about 20" high that the TV sits on and the TV will be 24.5" high. I would have to work up one of these creative solutions if it has to go on top since I also have the "slanted TV top" issue.

Thanks for your advice.

Ron

davef
04-26-2004, 09:27 AM
Hi Everyone,

For those of you with the "slanted top" televisions. Here is a product that I have recommended dozens of times and it works great. http://www.btech-usa.com/bt14.html This is a bracket designed for using a center channel atop a slanted television.

Ron... 10" off the floor will compromise the sound quality of *ANY* center channel speaker. Perhaps you can use the bracket I recommended?

Take care!

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
www.ascendacoustics.com

Ron B
04-26-2004, 09:43 AM
Thanks, Dave.

I did see your recommendation in one of the other threads, but I wanted to see if the "under the TV" solution would also work. I appreciate your opinion.

The item you recommended above says it will work for speakers weighing up to 15 pounds vs. the 340's weight of 20 pounds. Is this only good for the 170 as a center speaker, or do you think the specs are somewhat flexible?

Thanks!

Johnal
04-28-2004, 02:13 AM
Hey Dave,
I have looked all over the internet for TV-top speaker stands and it seems that the 15 lb limit is pretty universal. It seems like I will have to build a custom stand after all. Also, the picture I see on the web page you linked to shows a television that actually has some flat area on the top portion of the television. My television actually has none! [:(] It sort of curves around the top front portion and then instantly slants back, so this also leads me to beleive custom is the only way to go. Thanks so much for your suggestion though...if you know of any that can hold the 20lb 340c please let us know as I'd rather purchase a product than have to trust my own handy-work. [:D]

-Johnal

davef
04-28-2004, 08:29 AM
Hi Johnal,

I have spoken with Jim over at b-tech a few times. He has assured me that our 20lb speaker will be absolutely fine with his bracket. Keep in mind that much of the weight is transferred to the front of the speaker (where the drivers are) and this is resting on top of your television set. As I mentioned previously, we have many customers using this bracket already, without problem.

hope this helps!

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
www.ascendacoustics.com

Johnal
04-28-2004, 08:35 AM
Ok then Dave, I'll take your word for it and give it a shot. I'm sure my dad will miss out on woodworking with his son, but like I said...I'd feel safer purchasing something that I know has worked for others before.

-Johnal

P.S. Of course...if my 340c falls and dies I'm sure it'll be covered under the warranty though right [;)] j/k

davef
04-28-2004, 09:02 AM
Johnal,

I don't expect you to have any problems at all. However, if you are missing an opportunity for some quality time with your father... take the time with your dad! If your woodworking project doesn't turn out right, you can always buy the bracket later :)

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
www.ascendacoustics.com

Sigma B
04-28-2004, 09:17 AM
Not to veer this topic in a different direction, but I had a question. I'll be purchasing a front projector in a couple of months and I was wondering what would be the best placement for the center channel since there is no tv set for it to sit upon. Will this be okay? I was going to buy a center channel stand. I just wanted to know what the "higher-up's" had to say [:D]

Johnal
04-30-2004, 12:29 AM
Quick question regarding my center...as it stands I still haven't been able to use it due to lack of placement, but I've had it standing on it's side since I've had it... that's fine right? I hope that's not a stupid question...just wanna make sure.

-Johnal

davef
04-30-2004, 08:50 AM
Hi Johnal,

The center is optimized for horizontal placement so ideally, it should be placed horizontal. However, if it sounds fine... it is fine :)

Take care!

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
www.ascendacoustics.com

Johnal
04-30-2004, 12:11 PM
Oh woops....I meant it's been sitting on it's side since the day I've got it since I haven't been able to hook it up due to lack of shelving for it. I meant like in a storage-sense...Now that i look back on the post I'm not sure why i was really worried...One of those paranoid days I guess.
[:D]
-Johnal