PDA

View Full Version : Any Opinions on NetFlix?

curtis
04-13-2004, 11:38 AM
Dave.....YES.

I have been using Netflix for about two years. I think it is great. The more popular DVD are sometimes more difficult to get though. There are different distribution centers around the country, for us, the distribution center is in Santa Ana.

Recently, I found out that what might be tough to get in one part of the country, is easier somewhere else. I have written them a note about redistributing DVDs to where there is more need.

If anybody wants a free month...I will send them one.

I do not purchase many DVD movies, but when I do, it is usually from Target.

-curtis

Mag_Neato
04-13-2004, 09:27 PM
I find Wal-Mart to have good prices as well(just purchased U-571 for less than $9!).

I have a friend who uses Net-Flix and loves it. You can have as many as 3 movies out simultaneously, no late fees either.

MAG

dyevin
04-14-2004, 08:04 AM
i don't use netflix but several coworkers and family members do and they all seem very happy with it. i'm in arizona and the turnaround time seems to average at 2 days.

i have used dvdovernight a few times and been happy. while the selection is not as big as netflix, there are no monthly fees, with the only stipulation being you must rent 2 or more dvd's at a time.

as far as purchases, online vendors i like are amazon & deepdiscountdvd.com. if your not opposed to purchasing used, hollywood video and blockbuster usually have a pretty good variety and often run specials (buy 2 get one free, etc). for local release day purchases, my local wal-mart usually beats the best buys and circuit citys by a buck or so through the first weekend and almost always beat the online vendors once shipping is added in.

bltoe
04-14-2004, 08:51 AM
Dave,

A little money saving suggestion:

Start the netflix free two week trial through their site. Near the end of your trial period "attempt" to cancel from the website. 9/10 times they will ask you "if you are sure" and will offer you 6 months @ $14.99/mo. If by any chance you do not get the offer and the website closes your account simply call up and tell a CSR that you were offered the discount but clicked the wrong button or some other excuse.

Please see this thread on fatwallet.com for any questions:

http://fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=18&threadid=155913&highlight_key=y&keyword1=netflix

Dustin

davef
04-15-2004, 05:05 AM
Thanks for the great tips on netflix! I am tired of paying late fees at Blockbuster for movies that I sometimes do not even get a chance to watch..

I spent close to an hour last night picking movies to add to my queue.. I should have the first 3 in 2-days.

Thanks again!

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
www.ascendacoustics.com

Sigma B
04-15-2004, 12:53 PM
Let us know your thoughts after a couple of weeks. I'm not yet a member, but as a careful spender that's still in college, I'd like to know if it's worth it. I mostly buy though....

Gregisme
04-15-2004, 03:12 PM
A careful spender doesn't buy dvds. :D

Sigma B
04-15-2004, 10:25 PM
well................... we all have priorities [:D]

jbliz
04-16-2004, 04:42 AM
Dave, get netflix, it really is a fantastic service. The movies arrive very quickly, you always have 3 movies at your house, and the best part is no late fees. If you watch alot of movies, it's very cheap on a per movie basis.

Richie
04-19-2004, 09:14 AM
If you're wanting to purchase DVD's, go to www.deepdiscountdvd.com
its amazing especially with older movies. ive found dvds on there that are cheaper than the same dvds USED on ebay, pluse you get FREE shipping. check it out

Ben_Wood
04-19-2004, 09:24 AM
Richie is right about Deepdiscountdvd. The only issue with DDD is the speed of the free shipping. However, if you're willing to wait a few extra days DDD's price is almost always the lowest available. Also try www.deepdiscountcd.com for low prices on cds!

davef
04-19-2004, 10:24 AM
Just got my first 3 DVDs from Netflix... I guess now the only problem is trying to find the time to enjoy them.

I will say that was quite an easy transaction and the clever packaging seems like it will make sending them back a cinch.

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
www.ascendacoustics.com

X52
04-19-2004, 10:53 AM
I've had good luck bidding on Ebay. They have all been great transatioin for as little as 4 dollars for DVD's like "Meet the Parents" and "The Gladiator".

JH

J.A.P
04-19-2004, 08:16 PM
I find the CHEAPEST way to purchase DVD's is to purchase them the week they come out at either Best Buy or Circuit City. They usually charge @ $15.00 for new releases. You figure it costs @ $4.00 to rent so your really only spending around $11.00 for a new release with no damage like buying used weeks later for the same price. At least thats how I explain it to my wife.

Quinn
04-20-2004, 02:03 AM
I explain it that according to Edmunds.com TruCost calculator it costs 50 cents a mile to operate my vehicle. So, I drive by Target daily but Blockbuster is 5 miles away. 5 miles there and back is $5, rental $4, late fee $4, return trip $5. That means the true cost of my $4 rental is $18 or $3 more than its cost to buy it at Target.

Same thing for justifying HT expenses by comparing to going to the movies. 20 miles to the theater $20, parking $5(more if we're running late and valet), tickets $17, concessions $20, babysitter $20. Seeing that movie cost $80-85. So, I then argue that that nice new DVD player or a pair of 170s pay for themselves after three or four movies. [:D][:D]

Mag_Neato
04-20-2004, 02:52 AM
Dumb question, but what the heck: What movie theatre do you go to that has pay-to-park?

MAG

curtis
04-20-2004, 03:29 AM
Well...Quinn is in Texas....but in L.A. we have more than a few movie theaters that have pay parking.

The cost of going out to see a movie vs. renting/buying a DVD is becoming a bit much. I enjoy getting to the movie theater, and the atmostphere, but I have been getting more and more critical of the sound systems.

-curtis

Quinn
04-20-2004, 03:47 AM
I'm in Houston; anything downtown, The Medical Center, and a few other places you going to have to pay to park. When the land is worth millions they put up garages and charging parking. Five bucks to park is cheap in this town.

Mag_Neato
04-20-2004, 05:03 AM
Okay - okay....ya got me with the downtown thing. Same here in Cleveland, though not too many movie houses other than Tower City(Terminal tower complex). I usually hit one of two local Cinemarks, each with plenty of free parking.

MAG

Mag_Neato
04-20-2004, 05:09 AM
Oh, by the way.....just spent $10 Sunday to park for the Indians vs. Tigers game at Jacobs Field. 3rd row between 3rd base and home - we won 9-7!

MAG

Quinn
04-20-2004, 10:27 PM
Mag Neato

Shaker Heights '72-78(no not that part of Shaker). Oh the good old days of the mistake on the lake, the Rapid .25, bleacher seat $1. Can't imagine letting an elementary school kid doing that these days. Haven't been back to Cleveland once.

Quinn
04-20-2004, 10:32 PM
[:)]

Mag_Neato
04-21-2004, 12:41 AM
Cleveland Hts. High - class of '82! Yeah, the days of cheap seats are gone. The Rapid will take you to the gateway complex(Tower city), which would be cheaper than driving(gas,parking). You'd park at Van-Aken or Shaker Square for free and hop the transit! Browns stadium is worse....you have to purchase a seat license in order to purchase season tickets. I usually only go to games if someone has free tickets!!

MAG

Quinn
04-21-2004, 01:48 AM
Shaker Square. Wow what a flashback. I lived two blocks off Van-Aken about fours blocks up from Shaker Square. I'm two years younger than you. My brother Mike Quinn was your year.

curtis
04-21-2004, 02:09 AM
Ya see....we even get reunions here! [:D]

-curtis

gr1m
04-21-2004, 02:15 AM
yep it's worth it. now, i have 2 different accts with netflix (2 diff e-mail accts). once i cancel my subscription with 1 acct, i can almost guarantee in abt 3 wks or so, an-email will be sent to the other acct giving me $10 off the 1st month with no contracts so i'll sign up for that one and cancel after a month, and the process keeps on repeating. where i used to live there was a store that rents new movies for $1.50, so if i rent 7 that's already breaking even, don't have to drive to the store, et al. target,wal-mart,BB even eBay are pretty good places to buy dvds. try also www.dvdpricesearch.com

azanon
04-23-2004, 01:51 AM
Wow this sounds great. I hate blockbuster, but for a different reason; those damn rewards cards. I dont rent enough to make the card worth it, so what happened was i just chose not to renew it.

Well, every single time i go to rent a movie now at blockbuster, the same thing happens: They pull up my account, and then they go "hmmm, i see your rewards card expired recently (it was 5 f&^%'in months ago!!!), would you like to renew it". Me - "No thanks (already brewing cause this is the 50th time they've asked me)" Them - "Are you sure, you get one free movie a month if you rent 5, and free this and that, yada yada". OMG, at some point, i lost the ability to emotionally handle that every damn time, so i eventually paid them the damn 10 dollars for the card just so they'd shut the hell up. Then i got pissed i let them bully me like that, and i've never sinced returned.

Can you tell i'm bitter about it??

Anyway, i'll have to try this netflix. I've just been relying on my DTV and HD movies atm.

azanon
04-23-2004, 02:04 AM
I'll never understand buying movies, personally. Its a damn good movie that I can watch twice, and a truly rare gem that i can watch 3 times or more. More movies come out than I can possibly see, so given a choice, i'd much prefer to see a new movie, than to watch another one for the 3rd-4th time. On top of that, I hate having to allocate space for a truckload of movie cases.

Quinn
04-23-2004, 05:50 AM
I take it you don't have kids.

azanon
04-24-2004, 04:49 AM
I have an 8-month old, but even if he were older, I could remind him at any point that DTV is available 24/7, and he best not being watching the tube that much anyway. Ok sure, I do have maybe a couple kiddy cd's my wife bought, but i thought were talking us adults buying movies on a routine basis for ourselves (as opposed to renting). That i'll never do.

Quinn
04-26-2004, 07:24 AM
What's DTV?

azanon
04-27-2004, 08:49 PM
Direct TV - satellite

curtis
05-06-2004, 02:37 PM
OK....since I posted how much I like Netflix, I had a few movies listed with long waits...I would never get them. I emailed customer support complaining and would always get the samed canned answer....even when I replied to the canned answer. Then I read somewhere that they preferred treatment to new members. So I cancelled my membership and started a new one with a different email address and the free trial.

NOW!!! The movies that were listed as long waits are available immediately!! That it is upsetting....but now I know how the game is played!

-curtis

jbliz
05-06-2004, 11:46 PM
ohhhh, is that how they work. I think it would make sense to give a new member's first 3 movie order priority, because they need to get some movies to them quickly so they have something to watch.

I've had to wait a long time for some movies, but it's got better lately. I noticed that they are manufacturing their own dvd's now kinda like BMG does with cd's. I imagine this will allow them to better keep up with demand.

The longest my girlfriend and I had to wait for a movie was like 4 months, but the movie was Sweet Home Alabama so i wasn't too upset with the delay. My girlfriend on the other hand was wondering what the heck was going on.