PDA

View Full Version : Question about hooking up an Amp

Mattman9372
03-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Hey everyone I Just bought a set of ascend cbm 170 se speakers, and I am planning on hooking them up to an amp and also my laptop, I am also thinking about adding a subwoofer later. If someone could tell me what I should look for when buying an amp for these speakers it would be greatly appreciated. My price range for an amp is 100$-150$.

Here is a link for the speaker specs-http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170specs.html

Mag_Neato
03-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Are you talking about a small, digital T-Amp like the Nuforce unit? For your budget I cannot imagine anything else, except maybe a basic stereo receiver from pioneer or onkyo. How many sources will you have?

I have been looking into the Virtue One/Two from Virtue Audio. But these start at $269. They accept one source input via analog RCA plugs, and include a subwoofer out jack. Supposed to sound hi end.

Mattman9372
03-25-2009, 01:44 PM
I really don't know much about amps...would a smaller amp in the 100-150 price range be powerful enough for the cbm 170s im getting? Also...What do you mean by sources?

Mag_Neato
03-26-2009, 05:27 AM
By sources, I am referring to input sources, such as a CD/DVD player, Tuner, Cable box, IPOD, etc.

What are you meaning when you say Amp? A receiver with an amplifer, tuner and pre-amp section? This will have several inputs allowing you to have several source components. If you have to stay at $150 max, I'd look at Ecost, or other sites that sell manufacturer refurbished units. Good bang for the buck. They have Denon and usually Onkyo receivers. A simple 2 channel unit sounds like what you are looking for. 50 watts/channel to start with should be fine, unless you plan on cranking the music to party levels for extended periods.

Mattman9372
03-26-2009, 06:29 AM
Yes I was looking the kind of receiver with an amplifier, pre-amp and tuner. I am planning on hooking up my TV and also my laptop or my ipod to the amp. If I get a 50 watt x 4 channel receiver, does that mean that 50 watts will go to my speakers, and 50 will go to the TV when I hook it up? If I plug in my laptop, does it also receive power, and how would I hook it up? Sorry if these are dumb questions I'm new to this.

This is one of the receivers I'm thinking about buying

http://www.fadfusion.com/selection.php?product_item_number=20082406732

Mag_Neato
03-26-2009, 06:56 AM
That is a car unit. Are you trying to hook up the 170's in your car:confused:
As far as a laptop, I am not too familiar with how they hook up.

Something like this, with the optional ipod docking station..

http://www.ecost.com/Detail/Receivers/Denon/AVR1508/40132761.aspx?navid=155438257

bdfin
03-26-2009, 10:57 AM
The receiver Mag Neato suggests above looks like it would fit your budget and give you all the hookup options necessary to do what you want, as would most standard A/V receivers. It has HDMI, component, standard RCA imputs etc. that will get your TV, Ipod, etc. the ability to play through the receiver. Only other thing needed would be possible adapter cables to connect the Laptop and Ipod if you don't want to use a dock. The ipod plays back in stereo, any cheap stereo mini plug ( into the headphone output of the ipod ) that then adapts to the standard RCA Left / Right imputs on the back of the receiver to an available spot ( CD, or Tape, Aux, etc. if you aren't connecting those devices ) would get it done.

Mattman9372
03-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Alrite I bought the receiver mag neato suggested, do you guys have any recommendations for speaker wire?

Mag_Neato
03-27-2009, 05:07 PM
I think you will be happy with that receiver. It was, of course, merely 1 example I found of any number of possible receivers.

As far as speaker wire, the $1 per foot bulk stuff sold here looks good. Monoprice, Blue jeans cables, RiteAV, etc. are all possibilities. I'd keep it at least 14Ga.

chas
03-27-2009, 07:24 PM
I would second Monoprice 14AWG...good stuff.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023902&p_id=2791&seq=1&format=2

Mattman9372
03-31-2009, 04:03 PM
Well I think I got everything straightened out! thank for all your help guys!

marshhayden
02-23-2011, 09:31 AM
I hooked up the TV and at the same time I plan my ipod on my laptop or amplifier. 50 watts x 4 channels I receive a buyer, this means that 50 watts will go to my speakers, when you hook it up to 50 TV's going? If you plug in my laptop, but also how much power it will not engage and I would hook? Sorry if this is a stupid questions, I'm new to this.