PDA

View Full Version : recommendations please

peterpollack
03-24-2009, 07:57 PM
Hi. I'm a new member in the forum and am looking or some recommendations. My room is 14'x18' by 9'. My speakers are JosephAudio monitors (rm7 MK2) and the JosephAudio cynergy center. I just sold an M&K 350 THX sub that was great for HT but a bit distorted with music. My main interest is music but my system doubles for home theater. I run a Bryston processor and 5 channel amp. I'm considering the D-15 SE and the SVS PB12-Plus. Also have heard rumors about a new Rythmik coming on line. Any thoughts? Thanks for your time.

curtis
03-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Your room dimensions are almost exactly like mine, and a single 15" Rythmik does excellent with it.

Jonnyozero3
03-25-2009, 04:53 PM
Hi. I'm a new member in the forum and am looking or some recommendations. My room is 14'x18' by 9'. My speakers are JosephAudio monitors (rm7 MK2) and the JosephAudio cynergy center. I just sold an M&K 350 THX sub that was great for HT but a bit distorted with music. My main interest is music but my system doubles for home theater. I run a Bryston processor and 5 channel amp. I'm considering the D-15 SE and the SVS PB12-Plus. Also have heard rumors about a new Rythmik coming on line. Any thoughts? Thanks for your time.

Oooh rumors? Do tell :)

peterpollack
03-25-2009, 05:39 PM
Well rumor has it that a more powerful Rythmik sub is coming in about three months. Thats all I got.

Jonnyozero3
03-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the info. That's very interesting to hear. Wish I knew about that...

Anyhow, the D-15 SE is a stellar unit - I have a pair in my ~24x17x8 room, and they have a great deal of impact, dig very low, and have very little overhang for music. I've been nothing but impressed so far, though I have plenty of tweaks to accomplish. I have them opposite corner-loaded and EQ'd with an Anti-Mode 8033 and Pioneer's MCACC (whatever little MCACC did above ~60Hz). Listening to 16Hz organ music does frightening things to my whole house.

That said, I don't have any experience with the SVS. My previous subs in that room are a Rocket UFW-10 and a Hsu VTF-3 HO Turbo. Both were great for what they are meant to do, but the pair of D15's blend the strengths of both, albeit at a higher cost, of course.

Lastly, for what it's worth, if there is a newer, bigger Rythmik coming down the line, I will consider selling my two D15's and upgrading. I'm that impressed...

Jonnyozero3
03-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Ahh...interesting...I see Brian has new 500/600W plate amps available for non-servo subs. Boo, but neat. Though even a servo version isn't enough for me to upgrade already. Unless a new servo 15"er had a very large increase in headroom/output levels, I'd probably wait to drool at something around 18" in size with servo...mmmm.

From: http://www.avforums.com/forums/subwoofers/950096-new-rythmik-audio-600w-amp-plate.html

Anyway, the 500 and 600W amps don't support feedback like the 370W amp does, at least not for now. That would pretty much take away the whole point of going for a Rythmik for me.

Also, the DS1500 won't live with 600W. Brian says he is developing a 15" driver with a three inch voice coil to take more power, so there's more in the pipeline.

curtis
03-26-2009, 04:55 PM
Jonny....the Rythmiks are impressive. I was pretty sure you would find that out sooner or later. :) I am constantly impressed by how clean and the amount of impact the sub has, and to top it of, all with no overhang.

I think the term that Brian used in one of the thread over on AVS is "suddenness". The sub can hit you quickly, and then get out of the way.

Jonnyozero3
03-26-2009, 05:31 PM
Hi Curtis! Yeah, I just couldn't resist the pull of the servo :) I haven't posted a full 'review' yet because I haven't fully settled on locations for the subs in my room, EQ tweaks w/the AM and MCACC, etc etc.

And yup, I think Brian's term, "suddenness" is very apt. Have you watched Kung Fu Panda on Blu-Ray yet with your Rythmik? It's an absolute treat to say the least... :D

peterpollack
03-26-2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the information. I ordered two D-15 SE's. One for me and one for my son. Can't wait to hear it.

RythmikAudio
03-26-2009, 08:51 PM
And yup, I think Brian's term, "suddenness" is very apt. Have you watched Kung Fu Panda on Blu-Ray yet with your Rythmik? It's an absolute treat to say the least... :D

One of my early customers used the term "startling effect" to describe how these subs convey the special effects of movies better than other subs. He used the example of a horse race in one movie. The horses was at a distance first, then the camera suddenly moved to the horses at close-up. The correct contrast of these two scenes made him feel like he was run over by those horses.

DougMac
03-31-2009, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the information. I ordered two D-15 SE's. One for me and one for my son. Can't wait to hear it.

Congrats! Please post impressions when you've had a chance to listen.

Doug

Jonnyozero3
03-31-2009, 06:49 PM
One of my early customers used the term "startling effect" to describe how these subs convey the special effects of movies better than other subs. He used the example of a horse race in one movie. The horses was at a distance first, then the camera suddenly moved to the horses at close-up. The correct contrast of these two scenes made him feel like he was run over by those horses.

Great stuff, Brian. I think these units are a great example of why how that term "musicality" matters in movie watching/home theater as well. I am nothing but extremely impressed with them. The scary part is, I almost want more subs now to make sure I have totally effortless headroom for my space :p

jbjb
06-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Jonny....the Rythmiks are impressive. I was pretty sure you would find that out sooner or later. :) I am constantly impressed by how clean and the amount of impact the sub has, and to top it of, all with no overhang.

I think the term that Brian used in one of the thread over on AVS is "suddenness". The sub can hit you quickly, and then get out of the way.

I'm looking at a new sub and seriously considering the F15. Hence me joining this forum to inquire more :)

The characteristics mentioned above - "no overhang", "suddenness", "startling effect" - are among the things which attract me to the F15. I guess this can only be achieved with a sealed sub as compared to a ported one? And would this be perceived as the bass being very "dynamic"?

curtis
06-18-2009, 11:09 PM
I'm looking at a new sub and seriously considering the F15. Hence me joining this forum to inquire more :)

The characteristics mentioned above - "no overhang", "suddenness", "startling effect" - are among the things which attract me to the F15. I guess this can only be achieved with a sealed sub as compared to a ported one? And would this be perceived as the bass being very "dynamic"?
I am not sure if these characteristics can be found in a ported subwoofer or not, but I can tell you that the Rythmik does it extremely well.

Dynamics pertains to the ability of the sub to handle small nuances as well as loud passages....and yes, the Rythmik very detailed and dynamic.

DougMac
06-19-2009, 06:26 AM
The characteristics mentioned above - "no overhang", "suddenness", "startling effect" - are among the things which attract me to the F15. I guess this can only be achieved with a sealed sub as compared to a ported one?
In some camps this would be fighting words. :p Proponents of ported design feel that differences in ported or sealed subs is more a function of design and execution than inherent architecture.

I think there's been a lingering prejudice against ported designs that date back to the first ported speakers. There were many which were poorly designed and when played next to a good sealed Advent, AR or Infinity sounded bad. Ported speakers are far more sophisticated nowadays, just ask Dave!

I think the "musicality" of Rhthmiks (which I've never heard) owes a lot to the servo design. I had a 10" Infinity Servo that I bought over 20 years ago that really did sound good. I replaced it only when it died a sudden and catastrophic death.

jbjb
06-19-2009, 07:59 PM
In some camps this would be fighting words. :p Proponents of ported design feel that differences in ported or sealed subs is more a function of design and execution than inherent architecture.

I hope I didn't inadvertently start a fight! :D Yes, I do imagine that ported sub designs have evolved and any gap between sealed and ported have been reduced. I do notice that many ported subs nowadays sport rather large ports, I wonder if these contribute to the improvements?

Back to the F15. The frequency response is spec'd as 14-90 Hz +/- 2 dB. Any idea at what SPL output is this achieved at?

DougMac
06-20-2009, 06:40 AM
This is a DIY Rhythmik. It's a 12". The info may give you a loose ballbark idea of performance:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests/5756-diy-rythmik-audio-direct-servo-12-sealed-56l.html

From what I'm seeing, the Rhythmik achieves that response at pretty high dbs.

I'm thinking the 15" in an enclosure designed by the manufacturer would give even better specs.
FWIW, Ikka, the guy that did all the tests, selected two 15" Rhythmiks for his own setup.

Doug

jbjb
06-20-2009, 07:16 AM
Had a look at the link and saw the 1st graph in post #3. If I'm understanding it correctly, the sub maintains its nice and flat curve up to 95 dB. Beyond that level some compression starts to occur, e.g. looking at the power compression plot at 100 dB and 105 dB.

Compare this to the SVS PB12-NSD (another sub I'm also checking out) here: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests/8151-svs-pb12-nsd-new.html If I'm reading it correctly, this sub can maintain output up to 105 dB before its graph suffers.

So if we compare the two subs, can I say that the SVS is operating comfortably within its limits up to 105 dB, whereas the Rythmik is up to 95 dB? Or have I got it all wrong? :)

Lastly, didn't know Ilkka has 2 15" Rythmiks for himself.