PDA

View Full Version : Another Sierra first impression

jk121764
03-13-2009, 11:16 PM
I recently received my Sierra speakers and thought I’d give a “first impression” review.

Pre-purchase decision-making:

I use my stereo just for 2-channel listening, speakers on each side of my computer desk for nearfield listening. My last speakers were single driver speakers which sounded great, but I decided it was time to look for new monitor speakers that had a bit more range and dynamic punch.

After researching for a few weeks I came across the Ascend Sierras in various reviews and all were very good. I emailed tech support to inquire about driving them with a tube amp (22 watts). I thought the amp would drive them OK but this was more to get a feel for the customer support. David was responsive to my questions and no problems there.

I had a tough time deciding between these and the Energy Veritas 2.2i speakers. A dealer had them on sale for half price bringing them on par with the Sierras. I could not find any professional reviews on the Energy’s, and like the more convention look of the Sierras. In any event the nod went to the Ascends, and ordered a pair of the naturals (shielded).

Delivery and setup:

Feeling like a toddler on Christmas Day the speakers arrived a few days later. Double-boxed and the speakers were wrapped in a soft cloth bag, a nice touch. The bamboo cabinets are attractive and unique. When I was looking at the online photos I thought the grills would look ugly but when I actually got the speakers the grills look fine on them, so I decided to leave them on. I thought it was a bit odd that the Ascend emblems came separate, and I left them off as I was paranoid about putting them on either crooked or off-center, but I like the clean bare look anyways.

Listening:

As with the other reviews, the thing I notice first was bass output, which is very good for monitor speaker. Heck, probably good for a floorstander as well. A clean, tight bass, and bass you can feel. After listening for a while I put on some Judas Priest and sat back from the speakers and cranked them up a bit. All I can say is wow it was hard to imagine all that sound coming from monitors. Soundstage is wide and deep. These babies rock! I had to rearrange some components as I found these speakers like a very wide stance, probably due to the sound dispersion. A very well balanced speaker with a very pleasing sound. I can listen for many hours.

They seem very easy to drive with a modest 22 watts of tube power. Plenty of juice to spare. So far I’m very happy with my purchase.

Associated equipment:

Oppo digital transport
PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
Cayin A-88T integrated tube amp
Speltz anti-cable speaker cables
Wood technologies speaker stands

Additional thoughts:

One can have a $50,000 speaker system, but the sound will only be a good as the source recording. Something to consider when deciding to purchase a $5000 pair of speakers to get that extra 5 percent.

davef
03-17-2009, 11:05 PM
Hi jk121764,

Thanks so much for sharing your first impressions of your Sierra-1! I am very pleased that you are enjoying them :)

Take care!