PDA

View Full Version : CD recorders/burners

curtis
09-02-2003, 02:40 AM
Just get a CD burner for your PC.....good ones are $70. Standard music CDs do not have copy protection.

-curtis

JohnnyCasaba
09-02-2003, 02:56 AM
Yup just as Curtis said, get a CD burner for your computer. In fact, Circuit City has a Lite-On 52x burner on sale this week for $15.00 after 2 rebates. http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-10262&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_2&oid=76604

Quinn
09-02-2003, 03:16 AM
Thanks Curtis, but I'm completely inept at the computer and my kid(s) aren't old enough to take care of it for me. I wouldn't have a clue as to how to hook one up or use it. I'm using a five year old PIII chip machine that all we do with is email, surf, and balance the checkbook. I just learned this month how to pay bills electronicly. I don't know if it would support one. Professionally I'm a pastry chef, presently a stay at home dad, so I don't use computers at work to learn them.

Signed troglodyte Q.

Quinn
09-02-2003, 03:22 AM
Thanks Johnny- What does this mean in English?..."Just install into your ATAPI-E/IDE port and let the plug-and-play features do the rest!" And how can I tell if my computer has an ATAPI-E/IDE?

I guess I'm going to have to figure this out. As you guys know I'm a cheapskate.

curtis
09-02-2003, 04:07 AM
It should support it without issues. The two most difficult pieces will be installing it, which is easy and I would do for you if you were closer, and teaching you the couple of clicks you need to do to copy a CD.

Do you have any computer geek friends near by?

-curtis

Quinn
09-02-2003, 04:17 AM
Yeah, my fishing partner is a computer geek. I just sent him an email. Now I've got to figure out if my computer meets the 166hz mininum. I'm not finding it under My Computer,control panel,system.

JohnnyCasaba
09-02-2003, 04:37 AM
You should have no problems using the drive in your machine, I had my first CD/RW in a P2 400 PC and had no problems. The E/IDE port is just the connection used on PC's to hook up optical(CD/RW and DVD drives) and hard drives to the motherboard. If you have a friend who is a techie, you might want him to help you, but it is something you can do yourself. Most drives have pretty good instructions on installation. Just to let you know, when I installed my first one, it was the first time I ever opened my PC. Six months later I built my own. That is also easy, all the info is out there on the net or in books. Good luck, you can do it.

curtis
09-02-2003, 04:41 AM
Quinn,

Don't worry...that PIII meets the minumum.

How did you ever hook up your audio system? :)

-curtis

JohnnyCasaba
09-02-2003, 04:41 AM
If you have a P3 chip you meet it, I believe the slowest P3 chip is 450hz.

Quinn
09-02-2003, 05:19 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by curtis

Quinn,

Don't worry...that PIII meets the minumum.

How did you ever hook up your audio system? :)

-curtis
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

With clearly marked input output jacks. Not the same as cracking open the tower and messing around with the innards. ;^)

JohnnyCasaba
09-02-2003, 06:52 AM
Just to appeal to your cheapskate side even more, not only are the drives cheaper than a stand alone CD Recorder, but the media is cheaper as well. With the stand alone recorders, you have to use "music" CD-R's which are a little more expensive than the data ones since there is a royalty payed to the Recording Indusry on the music ones.

Quinn
09-02-2003, 07:04 AM
Thanks guys it looks like $15, plus a six pack for the help, and I'll have a burner installed. My geek friend did tell me not to expect 52x rips on my old PC it would more likely be 12-16x.

"With the stand alone recorders, you have to use "music" CD-R's which are a little more expensive than the data ones since there is a royalty payed to the Recording Indusry on the music ones."

Do I need to make sure my players can play these(the data ones)?

curtis
09-02-2003, 08:01 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Quinn

Do I need to make sure my players can play these(the data ones)?

If you copy and music disc to a "data" disc, the disc will take on the proper format.

You do need to make sure that your CD player can play CD-R's...some older ones can not. Have your geek friend bring over a couple to try.

-curtis

JohnnyCasaba
09-02-2003, 08:18 AM
And the computer CD/RW can burn to either of these discs, so if you find a great deal on the music discs, grab them. Also, do not pay full price on the CD-R blanks, every week Best Buy, Circuit City, Staples, etc. have deals on these things, just find the best one that week.

ronrosa
09-02-2003, 09:07 AM
If you own a camcorder, get a DVD burner. It's great turning your home movies into DVD's. It'll burn CD's too,

curtis
09-02-2003, 09:31 AM
Ron is right! But it is atleast twice the cost of the a CD burner....you can get a good DVD burner for about $170...I'm sure JohnnyCasaba can dig up a good deal on one of those for you. With that, and the proper software, you can also make "backup" copies of movies in addition to CDs.

Information overload yet Quinn?

-curtis

Quinn
09-03-2003, 01:04 AM
Whoa guys slow down. I just learned how to use the foot pedal and got an any key installed! Besides there isn't a tape slot on my computer. I do have a slide out cup holder that's pretty cool. ; ^ )

EngenZerO
09-03-2003, 04:04 AM
http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=194

I would jump on the Lite-On It 52x32x53x Burner. It is a great burner and this is what I use to RIP/Burn my MP3s. This sucker is fast and never messes up ( I havn't had a spoofed burn while I have owned this burner ).

Ozzie

[he_who_dares_wins] - sas

Quinn
09-04-2003, 08:14 AM
Thanks guys I bought the Lite-on burner. Now if someone can explain a little more about the CDs availible to record on as my head did nearly explode looking at them. Why do they range from $35 for 10 to $10 for 50-100? How do I know which are the Blose and which are the Ascends?

curtis
09-04-2003, 08:31 AM
LOL....

the more expensive ones are the ones that usually come with cases

Of all the CD-R media I have tried, I have not had any problems with any of them in the last 3 years. For the office, my guys are buying stuff from Fry's, about $15-$20 for a stack of 100 blanks. I have seen them as low as $9 for a stack of 100. And then you buy bulk cd cases, or sleeves...also really cheap. Since you are a pastry chef....the stack is sometimes refered as a "cake".

In the office we have a stack of Memorex, at home I have a stack of TDK.

That Lite-On burner is a nice one. That is the brand I was using before I got the DVD burner. In-fact I am thinking about putting it back in because it burns CDs faster.

-curtis

JohnnyCasaba
09-04-2003, 10:31 AM
Hey Quinn, glad you were able to pick up the Lite-On, it really is a good burner. My local CC had none left when I was there yesterday. As far as blank discs go, I would just get the cheapest name brand ones you could find, Best Buy has a TDK 50 pack for $2.99 after rebate this week. Some people prefer some brands to others, but I have used a lot of different brands and have had no problems.

EngenZerO
09-05-2003, 02:32 AM
go to your local frys or sams club and pick up a 100 disc spindle of verbatims (I have never had a problem with these, great discs imo)

ozzie

[he_who_dares_wins] - sas

Quinn
09-05-2003, 05:50 AM
Thanks Johhny - I now have a 50 pack for $2.99 and a $15 burner sitting here waiting on my techie friend.

Are the pens to write on these special or will a sharpie do it?

curtis
09-05-2003, 06:07 AM
sharpie will be fine......but Quinn, just on the top. :)

You are going to go crazy burning CDs...I can see it now. When I set my Dad up with a new PC and burner...he went nuts burning stuff for his friends.

Then I got a DVD burner, and he drops DVDs off at my house for me to copy for him. Now I guess I have to upgrade him.

-curtis

Quinn
09-05-2003, 07:06 AM
My wife is an attorney and intellectual property is one of the issues she deals with. So in our house the only burning will be what we own for our own use or free downloads offered by the artist.

Quinn
09-05-2003, 07:08 AM
"sharpie will be fine......but Quinn, just on the top. :)"

Which side is that? ;^)

JohnnyCasaba
09-05-2003, 07:28 AM
Your welcome Quinn, glad I could help.

curtis
09-05-2003, 08:51 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Quinn

My wife is an attorney and intellectual property is one of the issues she deals with. So in our house the only burning will be what we own for our own use or free downloads offered by the artist.

Oh, by the way, I don't copy anything that I'm not supposed to.[:)]

-curtis

Quinn
09-05-2003, 05:10 PM
Don't worry Curtis, medical IP is the only area of IP she deals with. People seem to forget they are ripping off the artists not just the recording company. I guess growing up in Austin, I know a lot of musicians that ain't getting paid. There's lots of music I'd like to have. Just, not much I'm willing to pay $20 for. That is were I'm tempted to burn. And no I don't blamed downloading for the recording industry's claimed slow sales. I think they have a lot of competion for the entertainment dollar that have better/smarter business models. Just like Hollywood the recording industry tends to underestimated its potential audience. But the movie industry is a whole lot smarter in its pricing of DVDs.

curtis
09-05-2003, 05:25 PM
Wow...you are up late Quinn. I have a friend that did some graduate school in Austin. I would have loved to experience some of the music that came out of there.

I agree about the smarter business models, and when it comes to CD music, I believe that will soon give way to the pay for download model such as Apple's music site. I think the hi-rez/multichannel market will be smarter, and we see how Universal's new price cut will fair.

-curtis

curtis
09-14-2003, 01:52 PM
Quinn,

How are you doing with the new burner?

-curtis

Quinn
09-14-2003, 10:47 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by curtis

Quinn,

How are you doing with the new burner?

-curtis

She's downing about 2 oz of milk every two to three hours and running thru a dozen plus diapers a day. She got out of the neo-natal intensive care unit in five days. Not having her with us was so hard those first five days.

Since the baby's a premie(we both just knew she was coming early) I'm not going to have anyone over for a month or so to install it for me.

curtis
09-15-2003, 03:51 AM
Quinn,

OK...you have your hands full. How early was she?

-curtis

Quinn
09-15-2003, 07:08 AM
A little over 4 weeks.