PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on securing some sierras on the BT77 mounts?

merrymaid520
03-01-2009, 07:28 AM
hello guys,

I am going to be placing some sierras on my rear walls that already hold my older 170's for surround duty. As you know the B-Tech Bt77's http://www.crutchfield.com/p_121BT77B/B-Tech-BT77-Black.html?showAll=N&tp=586
only "pinch" the speaker with the side clamps. I am afraid this is not enough to hold the sierras in place especially if they were bumped hard enough.

what have others done to secure them better with these mounts without harming the cabinet? I love these mounts and they worked great for the 170's but the sierras are much larger/heavier.

Thanks,

Brandon

rogerm
03-02-2009, 08:08 AM
Have you checked out the Omnimount 60.0? It has several different mounting options and is rated for up to 60lbs. www.surroundsolutions.com/cgi-bin/surroundsolutions.cgi/00949.html

merrymaid520
03-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks, but I actually found another thread where someone used an eye bolt from out of the sierra and then used a zip tie to secure the speaker to the mount(my BT-77's).

This worked very well and i was able to keep my mounts with the sierras now on them. I also used small rubber furniture stick protectors to keep the sierras cabinet flawless. Bought them at wallmart:)

Thanks guys,

Brandon

davef
03-02-2009, 10:34 PM
Thanks, but I actually found another thread where someone used an eye bolt from out of the sierra and then used a zip tie to secure the speaker to the mount(my BT-77's).

This worked very well and i was able to keep my mounts with the sierras now on them. I also used small rubber furniture stick protectors to keep the sierras cabinet flawless. Bought them at wallmart:)

Thanks guys,

Brandon

Brandon,

This is a great solution! If possible, can you post a picture?

Thanks!

merrymaid520
03-03-2009, 05:39 AM
Brandon,

This is a great solution! If possible, can you post a picture?

Thanks!

Hey Dave,

No problem. I would like to take credit for the idea but someone else in here gave me the idea from some other pics;)

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll4/bbriesath/IMG_4072.jpg
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll4/bbriesath/IMG_4074.jpg

Works very good with the BT-77's mounts.

Mag_Neato
03-03-2009, 06:09 AM
Nice solution! I would have taken it a step further and painted the eyebolts black. Just being anal I guess. Looks good!

stevec
03-04-2009, 05:07 AM
Looks good.. I will be mounting my just purchased 340 SE side and back surrounds on BT77s. I will use the eye hooks as you did, paint them as suggested by Ed, and use some hevy duty ties. thanks for the tip..

One concern I see from your picture though is that you are running that clear speaker wire in your wall. I thought that was against code? You may want to check as I believe that the relevant code is for fire prevention and the clear speaker wire has a very low flame retardance.
steve c

merrymaid520
03-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Steve,

I built the home myself and at the time didnt even think of running in wall cable for my surrounds. They carry such a small current, I was not too worried:) Six years since I built and no issues yet...........knocks hand on wood.........

Good call on painting the eye hook black, if I get around too it;)

get_zwole
05-12-2009, 08:46 AM
Ive had my cmt340se's on them for over a year now with no problems at all. I just got them really tight. they are downward at about 5 degrees and wont budge, i havent looked at the specs but im sure the 340's weigh more then the sierra's and mine stay perfect. heres a pic.
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/gbart1985/P1010077.jpg

Gov
05-13-2009, 07:18 PM
I have had a 340 on one for about two years now. Have moved a bit!

get_zwole
05-13-2009, 09:54 PM
I have had a 340 on one for about two years now. Have moved a bit!

So they have moved a little? outward or what?

get_zwole
05-17-2009, 08:30 AM
well i was laying in bed this morning asleep enjoying a nice dream when all the sudden something sounded damn near like a gunshot. Sure enough i jenksed myself, i jump up and one of my speakers isnt supported on the wall by the mounts. Was up there for about1.5 years i believe, Just the other day i was saying i think its tight enough just clamping it together when now i know thats not the case.

I think the speaker is ok no visible damage to the speaker midwoofer or tweeter. The front grill absorbed most of the fall ill plug them in later and make sure that the internals are good if not i guess its time for an upgrade to sierra's lol. Time to buy some speaker stands.