PDA

View Full Version : Size of room...

Sigma B
03-31-2004, 02:47 PM
jonhal,

you sound so much like me it's not even funny.

I'll help you out as best i can. The wall in which you will be placing your 340's how wide is it (from wall to wall)? It's my understanding that if it's farily close ( i dunno 10 - 12 ft or closer) then the wide dispersion of the will bounce off the side walls. I'm moving apartments and my listen room lengthend, but shrank in width, so I'm probably going to purchase the 170's and later get the 340's (hey - i'll have a 7.1 setup then!!! awesome).

I'm certain curt will add in his 2 cents....

later

curtis
03-31-2004, 03:21 PM
Here is a good thread for you guys:
http://www.ascendforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45

-curtis

MRose
04-01-2004, 12:02 AM
I don't know how good of a thread it is, it just reminds me that my attic still isnt finished.

Johnal
04-01-2004, 12:07 AM
Actually, my room is a quite the opposite...unfortunately i have the dimensions of my room on a note pad at home and I'm at work right now. But my room is more wide than it is long. I will most likely not be able to set up more than a 5.1 until after my next move due to the lack of space behind me.

If i end up going for the 170's I'm going to have to start looking into a sub...*sigh* I haven't even begun my research on subs.[V] oh well. Thanks for your response by the way :)

-Johnal

Sigma B
04-01-2004, 03:26 AM
just get an HSU or SVS - whichever one floats your boat and be done with that research ;-)

curtis
04-01-2004, 03:32 AM
Johnal....Hsu is practically in your backyard in Anaheim.

-curtis

fifolifo
04-01-2004, 10:12 AM
I don't own the 340s so I couldn't comment on how small of a room they could be placed into. In case you're wondering about the 170s, I have them in a 13'x11.5' room with 9' ceilings and they sound great.

Johnal
04-07-2004, 07:04 AM
Just a quick update, I couldn't resist getting the big bad 340's for l/r and they should be arriving on the 15th. I am really excited but also slightly concerned about my space. I may have to get a new entertainment center that goes deep enough for my new and obeise hk 7200 receiver and that is not too wide so i have space for my speakers when they come, and yet big enough to hold my 3 ton 32 inch sony tv. I also have to consider that when I get my center speaker, i have no where to put it above or below my TV because the tv slants back after about an inch on top. AHHHHHH!!! (just venting)

-Johnal

Quinn
04-08-2004, 08:01 AM
Congrats. I thought from your original post on HTF the Ascends were what you were looking for. How is your cat doing?

Johnal
04-09-2004, 12:12 AM
Thanks! Well I did go with ascends. I'm getting the 340's and I'm still going back and forth between going for a subwoofer (VTF-2) or getting the 340c for my center speaker. Someone already suggested that I go for the $100 Dayton Sub & the 340c so I can sorta have the best of both worlds till I can afford to get the vtf-2 as I can't afford getting the 340c and the sub. I think I'm leaning more to getting the sub now and the center later...but ANYway...

My cat is doing great, she already got her stitches removed and just yesterday I took off that cone that she had around her head. She's back to her old self again, and to be honest... I would have spent 5 times the amount I ended up spending on her to have her back to her old self. Thanks for asking :)

-Johnal

Johnal
04-14-2004, 11:29 PM
Just a quick follow up. The driver's for the 340's came in yesterday as they had told me they would, and the most fantastic thing showed up in my E-mail box this morning: "Scheduled Delivery: 15-April-2004 "

UPS Says:
Scheduled Delivery: Apr 15, 2004

I am soooo excited! I am so tempted to call in sick to work tomorrow just so I can enjoy the speakers. By the end of next week, my neighbor's will know me by name and the brand of my speakers! WOOT!

-Johnal

Sigma B
04-15-2004, 01:27 AM
That's awesome man! I hope you enjoy your new toys :D