PDA

View Full Version : 15 inch Ascend sub placement question

King
02-17-2009, 03:00 PM
Would there be a big difference in sound for music only, if I placed the sub across my 20 foot room next to the couch verses up next to my 2 monitor speakers.

Only one sub, and it fits better next to the couch, but I could put near the front 2 speakers, if I have to, in order to preserve a better sound.

Thanks for advice.
(Music only) (2 channel system)

RythmikAudio
02-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Would there be a big difference in sound for music only, if I placed the sub across my 20 foot room next to the couch verses up next to my 2 monitor speakers.

Only one sub, and it fits better next to the couch, but I could put near the front 2 speakers, if I have to, in order to preserve a better sound.

Thanks for advice.
(Music only) (2 channel system)
The main consideration here is the delay time adjustment. If the sub is closer to you than the main speakers, the sound from the sub will arrive early. Consequently, we need to put delay time on the sub to compensate for it. The max delay time adjustment on the plate amp is 16ms, which is equivalent to 16ft distance difference. We need to take away a couple of ms for actually phase alignment adjustment. The actual delay time left may not be that much. So I think the 20ft distance difference is a bit too much for the plate amp to handle.

King
02-18-2009, 04:09 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking the same thing .
Plus, I posted in the wrong area.
So 2 thoughts.

RythmikAudio
02-18-2009, 06:06 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking the same thing .
Plus, I posted in the wrong area.
So 2 thoughts.

It is ok. The delay time range is not impossible to increase. However, that will make your amp a custom version and I don't really encourage that. Also there is this common trade-off between the range and resolution. If we have larger adjustment range, it is harder to fine tune small incremental change.

scape
02-24-2009, 08:13 AM
depending on your equipment and how you hooked up your sub with cabling, there is an option in your AVR to assign a delay (though it may max out at 16ms as well!) and maybe even distance to seat factor for the sub.
do you have an avr or just a basic amp setup? is the sub hooked up via a sub cable (having it so far from the front speakers I am going to guess yes).

King
03-16-2009, 11:25 AM
depending on your equipment and how you hooked up your sub with cabling, there is an option in your AVR to assign a delay (though it may max out at 16ms as well!) and maybe even distance to seat factor for the sub.
do you have an avr or just a basic amp setup? is the sub hooked up via a sub cable (having it so far from the front speakers I am going to guess yes).

McIntosh C46 and Sonus Faber Cremona monitors
I measured and I do not have the room needed to put a Rythmik sub near the monitors.
So, I am not quite sure what to do yet. The speakers are 18 inches from the front wall. My only room for a sub, seems to be on the back wall next to the couch.
Circa 17 to 20 feet away, depending on how far I pull the speakers/sub out.
Toward each other.

scape
03-16-2009, 12:40 PM
McIntosh C46 and Sonus Faber Cremona monitors
I measured and I do not have the room needed to put a Rythmik sub near the monitors.
So, I am not quite sure what to do yet. The speakers are 18 inches from the front wall. My only room for a sub, seems to be on the back wall next to the couch.
Circa 17 to 20 feet away, depending on how far I pull the speakers/sub out.
Toward each other.

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/downloads/product_manuals/c46om03.pdf
That manual was a few MB large
But I did not find anything on delay-- unless I missread something, it looks to be a pre-amp. The delay settings would probably be on your amp, unless those sonus' are powered themselves. Is there anymore equipment inline?

scape
03-16-2009, 12:50 PM
if we find out that your equipment has the ability, here is a quick overview of what is going on: (about halfway down)
http://www.hometheatersound.com/features/videonoise/vn_20021201.htm

King
03-16-2009, 05:06 PM
I emailed Mcintosh about 2.1 with my C46.
My AVR, sure makes things easy in my HT room!