PDA

View Full Version : Wall mounting 170 rears

J.A.P
03-29-2004, 07:28 AM
Maybe you just need to wrench them tighter. I bought mine from Ascend with my speakers and the things haven't moved in almost a year. I looked at other brackets and the Omni-Mounts seemed superior. Maybe a small shelf could be an option.

Lou-the-dog
03-29-2004, 09:44 AM
I have less than ideal placement for my surrounds and it seems that angling towards the back wall helps make up for the deficiency. Play with it and do what works best for your situation.

Randy

frank
03-29-2004, 11:15 PM
can you use any speaker for the rear's I have some older speakers I want to use for the rear's

Lou-the-dog
03-30-2004, 10:14 AM
Ideally you would want speakers that are voice matched but the rears really do a different job than the mains and center. If you have a couple laying around then definately experiment. If you like what you hear then go with it. If not then Ascend is just a call away.

BTW Frank, did you get you 340 L/C/R up and running OK?

Randy

davef
03-30-2004, 11:09 AM
Hi JDL,

This is the first I have heard of the Omnimount brackets sagging. Are you sure you have fully tightened them down using the included allen wrench? These are about as high a quality wall mount bracket as you would find anywhere. Also, there is a definite "top" and "bottom" of the bracket. Please check the included documentation as to the proper way to orient the bracket.

Please let me know your findings!

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
www.ascendacoustics.com

frank
03-31-2004, 01:34 AM
I friend of mine is comming over this week to help me set up everything I'm having some problems with all my equipment ie:a/v receiver the 340 sound really good in the 2-channel mode but I can't get anything else to work It's a pain in the _ _ _ ![:(!]

JDL
04-04-2004, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, I've cranked the connection as tight as I can. I used a pair of pliers to grab the wrench and get as much torque as possible. I also turned the 170's over from my original attempt so that the tweeter is at the bottom as I was told this is the recommended setup. I believe I have them installed properly, the logo is at the top and the screw at the bottom. After I got them mounted, they start out level, but then droop down 10-15 degrees after a few hours. Maybe I'll try taking them down and have another go at it. A shelf would be possible, but seems less than ideal.

M3_Pete
04-07-2004, 01:41 AM
If all else fails, and Omnimount won't replace them, I'd use a small piece of wood (like a 1x2, painted black) between teh bottom of the speaker and the wall to keep them from sagging. Attach the wood to either the wall or the speaker, and isolate the ends with some felt or something to prevent vibrations.

davef, is tweeter down the correct position?

curtis
04-07-2004, 03:09 AM
When the speaker is closer to the ceiling, I think Dave recommends to mount the speaker upside down to reduce tweeter reflections off of the ceiling, and also gets them closer to optimum height.

-curtis