PDA

View Full Version : Sierra1 impressions

Bill Mac
02-04-2009, 06:03 AM
I have had the Sierras a little over a month and can say without a doubt it was the right purchase. The most recent speakers I have had in my system are from Dynaudio. I had a pair of Focus 140s and then a pair of C1s. I found after I bought the C1s (on Audiogon) that I just did not have the time or the room to take advantage of these excellent speakers. So I sold them and decided to try the Sierras and Sierra center in Piano Black. I was concerned at first that a center with only one woofer would effect the ouput of the Sierra center but it is not an issue at all I found.

My system consists of a Onkyo 805 (as a prepro), NHT Power5 amp, Bel Canto PRe3 with HT Bypass (for 2CH listening), Consonance CD-120 CD player, Panasonic BD30 Bluray player and the Sierras. I found the SQ of the Sierras to be very Dynaudio like in their clear, detailed and smooth presentation of music and HT. I have found I can listen for hours without a hint of listening fatigue.

My listening is about 40% music and 60% HT and TV. My system is located in my livingroom which is 17'wx13'dx8.5' ceilings with one side of the room open to another room. For 2CH music the Sierras have very precise imaging, broad soundstage (height and width) and incredible bass output for a monitor type speaker. With well recorded music the SQ is just incredible but the Sierras will not be as kind with poorly recorded music. For HT with the new Bluray audio formats the SQ is excellent as well. With the three Sierras across the front I get a seamless flow of the action. There is a lot to say for having matched speakers for the LCR for HT and with the Sierras it shows.

Going from the C1s to the Sierras is a tough act to follow for the Sierras. But I feel the Sierras do a fine job giving up treble clarity and a slightly better midrange to the C1s. But to compare a $7000.00 speaker to one that sells for $898.00 is just not a fair comparison IMO. Are the C1s a better speaker, yes they are but you pay a premuim for that quality. Are the differences worth the extra cost, for some I am sure it is but not for me in my small room. I feel I will be happy for quite awhile with the Sierras and highly recommend them to anyone looking for a first class stand mount speaker for both music and HT. When considering the cost of the Sierras it just makes the decision that much easier, one of the best bargains in the audio world IMO:)! I almost forgot to mention that the service from Ascend is excellent. I can not thank David for his time on the phone and by e-mail. Also to Dina for always following up with questions I had as well.

Those wanting to see more reviews and a more indepth review from myself of the Sierras should go to AVS speaker forum and look for the Ascend Sierra owners thread. I tried to post a link but I believe being a new member I am not allowed to. Maybe someone else could post the link as it is a great thread and very informative from many other Sierra owners.

Bill

Mag_Neato
02-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Quite a comparison to a $7000 pair of speakers. I would expect the Dynaudio's to be better. Much better. The fact that you are satisfied with them after having the C1's is a real testament to Dave's design skills.

I wonder, and I am not the only one who does, what Dave could design with ultimate performance no-matter-the-cost being the mission? Keeping, of course, with Ascend's philosophy of bringing that performance to mass-market prices. The Sierra-1 is an awesome start, but there are people who would pay twice the Sierra-1'a cost, or more, for a no-holds barred design.

merrymaid520
02-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Great review Bill,

here is the link to the AVS thread for you:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=849859

On a side note, my 2100 should arrive by Friday or Monday. Hope this one works:)

Bill Mac
02-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Great review Bill,

here is the link to the AVS thread for you:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=849859

On a side note, my 2100 should arrive by Friday or Monday. Hope this one works:)

Brandon,

Thanks for posting the link:). It lets people here who are looking at the Sierras have another site to look at for reviews and advice. I am sure the new 2100 will work fine. I will look forward to your review!

Bill

davef
02-09-2009, 02:37 AM
Hi Bill,

Thanks so much for the wonderful review and I am happy that you are enjoying the speakers!

Thread moved to our "reviews" section for easy future reference...

merrymaid520
03-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Bill,

I just picked up three more black sierras on the used market and put two of them up as rear surrounds replacing my older Classic 170's. Wow, I was surprised to hear such a difference! I of course noticed it most when playing some Multi ch DVD-A material I have. The Eagles HC & Fleetwood Mac Rumours DVD-A discs sounded so seamless when panning from front to back. The detail and imaging from the surrounds improved quite a bit. Next up the wife and I watched a blu-ray movie utilizing a lossless soundtrack(DTS-MA) and even though it was a comedy movie(My Best Friends Girl), the sierras definitely added more to the rear effects than the older 170's could.

I like the improvement!

Just thought I would add to this review thread a bit:p

Brandon

Bill Mac
03-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Bill,

I just picked up three more black sierras on the used market and put two of them up as rear surrounds replacing my older Classic 170's. Wow, I was surprised to hear such a difference! I of course noticed it most when playing some Multi ch DVD-A material I have. The Eagles HC & Fleetwood Mac Rumours DVD-A discs sounded so seamless when panning from front to back. The detail and imaging from the surrounds improved quite a bit. Next up the wife and I watched a blu-ray movie utilizing a lossless soundtrack(DTS-MA) and even though it was a comedy movie(My Best Friends Girl), the sierras definitely added more to the rear effects than the older 170's could.

I like the improvement!

Just thought I would add to this review thread a bit:p

Brandon

Brandon,

What a nice addition:)! Do you have them on stands? What will you do with the extra one? Can you post some pictures of the whole setup, it would be cool to see.

Bill

merrymaid520
03-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Brandon,

What a nice addition:)! Do you have them on stands? What will you do with the extra one? Can you post some pictures of the whole setup, it would be cool to see.

Bill

Bill,

Here is how the new sierra surrounds are mounted.
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll4/bbriesath/IMG_4072.jpg
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll4/bbriesath/IMG_4074.jpg

As for the 3rd sierra, its down in my theater room as a center channel replacing my 340SE center.

I was not sure how big of a difference the sierras as rears would make, but its definitley noticeable especially on lossless recordings and Blu-ray material.

I do plan to move my 2 front sierras into the theater once I get my Salk ST's. I did postpone the Salk order for a bit just to get a better picture of the economic situation:) I hate to take any risks at this point.

Now if Dave happens to introduce a floorstander between now and then, we may have a shootout;)

30shofar
03-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Ya, the Sierra's have a unique presence about them that provides an awesome listening experience.

I have a HT room running an Onkyo 875 @ 7.1 using the Sierra's on the fronts and center and the HTM-200 SE's on the surrounds and rears. They blend excellent with an ACI Titan XL sub. By the way, Audyssey sound correction does a nice job but has a tendency to set your crossovers to "Full". You'll need to reset the Sierra's to 60 Hz and the surrounds to 80 Hz to protect them.

I also have a home studio room using NAD to drive Sierra's on the front and 200's on the rears. The 200's are mounted high and provide excellent fill in. I'm using a Mac Mini for a music server routed through a Channel Island DAC into a NAD 162/272 combo. Being two-channel I really don't need a sub. But a sub sure does fill in nicely below 40 Hz. Anyway, this setup works really well also. I tried Maggie MG-12's in this system but due to placement constraints could not place them correctly.

Bottom line, Ascend products are well built and sound awesome!

Bill Mac
03-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Brandon,

Nice job mounting the Sierras. They look great on those brackets and I am sure they sound excellent:).

Bill