PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered dual F15s

GregBe
01-23-2009, 06:37 AM
I am sure once I get them, I will need help with placing them, and optimizing their performance. For right now, I just wanted to say that I am really excited. I have a dedicated room that is around 1600 cubic feet. I have Era Design D5 bookshelf speakers for my mains. The Era D5LCR for my center and D4s for my surrounds. Now the waiting :(

DougMac
01-23-2009, 07:39 AM
Congrats! Let us know what you think when you get them.

Doug

curtis
01-23-2009, 08:34 AM
With two F15s in that room, you will have plenty of high quality woofage to spare!

GregBe
01-23-2009, 09:12 AM
With two F15s in that room, you will have plenty of high quality woofage to spare!

Hey Curtis. Previously, I had a JL F113 in the room. It was definitely more sub than I needed. I had to sell it for personal/money reasons, but the problem I had, was that with the sub in the front of the room, I had a ridiculous amount of room gain below 35 hz. Even with ARO EQ and dropping the the ELF trim (-12dB cut at 25 hz), I still had too much 16hz to 35hz response (I know tough problem to have :rolleyes:). When I put the F113 in the back of the room, I had a perfectly flat response with a slight rolloff below 25hz. I could get the response pretty flat with the JLs eq, but no matter what corner behind me I put it, I could feel where it was coming from. So I think I have some choices. With both behind me, I am hoping in opposite corners, I might be able to get it flat, and not feel the pressure from one side or the other. I might go with one in the front and one in the back to take advantage of all that room gain, although with one sub behind me, I am still a little worried about localization.

I am hoping with the two F15s, I can set them up to get the best of both responses (and not the worst of both responses :eek:). On top of that, the two subs should give me at least as much output as the F113, possibly more. I am guessing, based on Ilka's measument of the 12", that adding 3-4 dBs to the numbers for the 15", and adding 3 dB's for duals (not 6dBs because they will not be co-located), the numbers would be a little better than the F113.

We will see. I am a tweaker, so hopefully with the help of Brian, Dave and the members here, I can get to music and movie nirvana. :D

curtis
01-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Greg, I have heard the F112(not 113) on a few occasions, and I love that sub. If what they say is true between the 112 and 113, the only way I can see you being unhappy is if you hurt yourself while moving the subs around. So remember...use your knees and not your back! :D

bdfin
01-23-2009, 07:03 PM
"plenty of high quality woofage"

I just love the sound of that.......