PDA

View Full Version : Filling 340's stands

Lou-the-dog
03-25-2004, 09:43 PM
The stands I built are very similiar to the Ascend stands. I e-mailed Dave F. on this issue. He told me that it was unlikely that the empty stands themselves would create any resonances- but on the other hand, if I was still concerned, to go ahead and fill them. I would think that if the stands were filled clear up they would be EXTREMELY heavy. Mine are still empty and are probably going to stay that way. I would think that a thin isolator pad between the speaker and the stand would do about everything needed as far as sonic benefits.

Randy

frank
03-25-2004, 11:38 PM
I bought the cmt-340L/R and the stands I plan to fill them 1/3 to 1/2 full with play sand from home depot I dont have any small kids but i have a large dog 110 lbs

Mag_Neato
03-26-2004, 12:41 AM
I have the 170's on Wood-Technology metal stands which have three vertical cylinders between the base and top plates. I filled the front-most cylinder to the top with sand only because when I would knuckle rap it, it rang like a bell. The two rear cylinders are much smaller in diameter and did not ring like that, so I left them empty. If your stands are wood or MDF, you may not have this problem as David mentioned.

MAG