PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Alta Woming

WyomingAV
01-12-2009, 06:30 AM
Greetings,

We've just finished building a new home with a dedicated theater room. It's now time to upgrade by older Energy Encore5 sound system. I've heard a lot about Ascend Acoustics and hope to learn more about their products and how they compare against others.

davef
01-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Greetings,

We've just finished building a new home with a dedicated theater room. It's now time to upgrade by older Energy Encore5 sound system. I've heard a lot about Ascend Acoustics and hope to learn more about their products and how they compare against others.

Welcome to our forum WyomingAV!

Please don't hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

Take care!

DougMac
01-14-2009, 06:25 AM
Greetings! I just checked your 15 day forecast, looks like you're in for a pretty long cold spell. They're talking about 9 degrees here in central Georgia Friday night!

Please post any questions you have. We'll do our best to answer them. I have found Ascends to be well designed, well constructed, wonderful sounding speakers sold at a very competitive price. What really won me over is the great customer service. Dave is very willing to discuss your specific needs based on your room and listening expectations. Ascends are certainly worth your serious consideration.

Doug

WyomingAV
01-15-2009, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the welcome. Let me breakdown my room and idea. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

We've built a 12' (W) x 14' (L) x 9' (H) room with no windows and double sliding entry doors at the rear. Carpeted the floor and all the walls have been insulated. We have theater curtains in the front of the room. I have a 58" LCD and a 100" electric screen for my overhead projector. Seating is a single 8' leather sofa with a large leather ottoman 10' from the screen. Nothing on the walls except the two surround speakers mounted to the side of the couch just above the listener.

I'm considering the following for my 5.1 system:

(2) CMT-340 for the mains (with pedestals)
(1) CMT-340 for the center
(2) CBM-170 for surrounds
(1) Subwoofer (No Idea - Suggestions welcomed)

I'm driving my current system with a Denon AVR-3805. After I replace the speakers I want to upgrade my receiver with a another receiver or separate components (recommendations welcomed).

I've looked at many speaker options and keep coming back to Ascend. I'd like to hear some feedback on what I'm thinking about doing and recommendations. We use the room 90% for movies and 10% for music. Also, speaker placement on surrounds would be appreciated assuming I go with the CBM-170's or HTM-200.

Thanks

DougMac
01-16-2009, 06:54 AM
I think the 340's will do fine in your room. I have a slightly bigger room (16x20x9) and the 340's are more than enough. I use 170s for side surrounds and 200s for back. The 170s would be fine for surrounds.

If I was in the market, I would seriously consider the Rhythmik subs sold here. My second choice in subs was a DIY using a Rhythmik, but since I was doing all the construction work for the home theater, I just didn't have the time. I went with an SVS PB12-NSD and I've been very pleased. From what I've read, though, the Rhythmik is more accurate.

I have a question about your electric screen. Is it acoustically transparent? I'm just curious what you'll do when it is lowered. Will it be in front of the center speaker?

Doug