PDA

View Full Version : Belated Happy Holidays!

curtis
12-26-2008, 02:59 PM
With the holidays coming to a close, I hope everyone is enjoying the season.

For Christmas...the kids (and the ex-wife and her husband) got me a blu-ray player! Sony BDP-S550. It's funny....it is the best Christmas gift I have ever gotten from my ex.(during and after marriage) :D

Mag_Neato
12-26-2008, 04:24 PM
Wow! I can't imagine getting anything at all from my ex, let alone THAT!!

Happy Holidays, Curtis and all forum members!

I got a neat toy from my new fiance. A Garmin GPS unit. Like a kid in candy store. I bought a Panasonic BD55 a week and half ago. Just hooked it up today. Trying to get a Linksys wired router to work, as well as a Belkin wireless networking device to get the BD-live connection from the living room to the den. Hooked up the router with the DSL modem, but no signal is getting through to the PC. I will be online with Linksys Tech support later.:confused:

curtis
12-26-2008, 04:49 PM
I know the kids had a lot of influence over the gift. I certainly didn't expect it. My son is very proud for picking it out.

I have a network connection near my A/V equipment that is currently being used by the Toshiba HD-DVD player....so hooking up the Blu-ray in its place should be easy. Since I need to hook up the 7.1 analog to my pre/pro.....that is going to take some time since I have to pretty much disconnect everything to do it.

Mag_Neato
12-26-2008, 06:38 PM
I don't have any of my audio equipment hooked up yet after my move in, so I don't have to worry about the 7.1 connections yet. I have everything going through the HDMI right now. The Dark Knight sounded pretty darn good just through the AQUOS' speakers. The dialog enhancement setting on the Panasonic really makes voices clear. With simulated surround switched on in the AQUOS it was pretty decent. Of course, it pales next to my Sierra-1/Rythmik sub/Onkyo 703 setup. In time, my friends, in time!:D

Mike^S
12-26-2008, 07:12 PM
That's awesome Curtis! Now all you need is a new TV! :D

curtis
12-26-2008, 07:31 PM
That's awesome Curtis! Now all you need is a new TV! :D
yeah...I know....don't rub it in! The Epson has served me well...it was a mediocre HDTV to begin with 4+ years ago!

davef
12-27-2008, 01:57 AM
Happy holidays to everyone!

Nice gift, Curtis :D I was at Best Buy today to try and find a Wii for Matt... no such luck - sold out everywhere. :mad:

I went into Magnolia and was just blown away by a Pioneer Kuro (for the 2nd time now). Without question, the best picture quality I have ever seen. I quickly realized that I had forgotten what black was supposed to look like :(

debo
12-27-2008, 08:21 AM
Wow Curtis ex-wife gives you a blu-ray player...I'm married 30 years and got a scarf. Actually my wife is a sweetheart, last month she handed me a tissue to wipe the drool off my chin when she found me starring at a Kuro. Dave your not kidding black is black on that set.

Ed...Where did you move? I can see your first priority on the move in being a bed (new fiance) but audio has to be a close second!

Happy and Safe Holidays Everyone!

curtis
12-27-2008, 10:05 AM
There has to be something with how Nintendo is controlling production and demannd with the Wii....you can always find PS3's and XBox360's, but not Wii's.

Yeah...the Kuros are NICE! I don't want to look at them any more. :)

Mag_Neato
12-27-2008, 10:41 AM
Wow Curtis ex-wife gives you a blu-ray player...I'm married 30 years and got a scarf. Actually my wife is a sweetheart, last month she handed me a tissue to wipe the drool off my chin when she found me starring at a Kuro. Dave your not kidding black is black on that set.

Ed...Where did you move? I can see your first priority on the move in being a bed (new fiance) but audio has to be a close second!

Happy and Safe Holidays Everyone!

Jeff, I am in Cleveland, Old Brooklyn area. Between the two of us, we have 2 queen size beds with full frames. She bought hers last year. Mine is a remnant of my marriage. She prefers my mattress to her new one, so we put it on her new box springs and gave the new one with my old box spring and frame to her oldest daughter.

Yes, I do need to figure out a layout for my audio equipment.

Happy Holidays to you too!

Eddie Horton
12-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Glad everyone had a good Christmas. The wife got me a 1TB NAS drive, a URC RF remote, and the MRF 350 base station to go with it. Now, I can finally get rid of the buggy IR distribution setup I've been fighting with (and losing) for over a year. This thing is rock solid from anywhere in the house.
Got the wife a Wii. She just discovered video games and wouldn't leave my 360 alone, so I scored one back in June and sat on it till Christmas.
Out daughter is now almost 2, so between us and the Grandparents, she got everything you can think of short of a pony.

curtis
12-28-2008, 10:14 AM
ooooh....I could use a 1TB NAS. My 300gb is 85% full.

I hooked up the blu-ray player last night and played a DTS-HD demo disc I got from CES a couple of years ago. Brought a nice smile to my face. :)

Eddie Horton
12-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Good deal, Curtis. Since I picked the wrong side in the HD DVD vs. BR battle, we've been holding off on a player for a while, but will get one eventually.

curtis
12-28-2008, 02:08 PM
Good deal, Curtis. Since I picked the wrong side in the HD DVD vs. BR battle, we've been holding off on a player for a while, but will get one eventually.
Oh...I picked the wrong side too a little over a year ago!

Anybody want to buy a Toshiba HD-A2? :)