PDA

View Full Version : Polk to Axiom or Ascend - Will I hear a difference

curtis
03-21-2004, 12:17 AM
First, I would say the Sherbourn will power just about anything you get.

I have not heard the Polks, but I think it is a safe bet that you will hear differences. I suggest you do the demos.

If you are looking at Axiom M80's, which Ascends are you comparing them to? No matter which one, the M80 is a much larger speaker than any of the Ascends, and my guess is that they will also be capable of louder sound levels.

-curtis

AndrewS
03-21-2004, 03:22 AM
The Ascends I'd probably be interested (due to room size and my sub optimal soffett) is the CMT-340 l/r, 340 center and 170 surrounds.

I haven't seen too many people with the Polk RT2000p's and I want to make sure that before I decide to start ordering/demoing that the general consensus is that moving to Ascend (or Axiom) speakers would be a move up in quality, soundstage and detail. The RT2000p's have nice slam but I've been disappointed recently that movie voices aren't as loud or pronounced as I'd like them - and I prefer a little more forward speaker...

curtis
03-21-2004, 01:50 PM
I have the Ascend set-up you are thinking of. It is excellent....the 340's across the front make for an excellent and seamless stage, and with 170's as surrounds (which is not doing them justice), the overall presentation of music and movies is great.

I do not know the RT2000p's, so I can not help you with a comparison.

Where are you located? Maybe there is someone close by with some Ascends.

-curtis

AndrewS
03-21-2004, 11:40 PM
I'm in Lexington, KY.

I'm actually considering ordering each of the following
Ascend 340 l/r
Axiom M80ti
Phase Tech V-12

and doing a shootout to see what I like the best. I should see if I could get a few folks from Lexington, Lousiville, Cincinnati area who would be interested in hearing these side by side.....

bombadil67
03-23-2004, 09:35 AM
That would be cool . . . but from Detroit (hour north), it's a little far to drive. But, if you can get all three in-house, that would be the way to go.

Of course the 340's are going to win the shootout! [;)]

Sigma B
03-23-2004, 12:32 PM
i'm in lexington ky as well andrew. I'm probably going to order some ascends soon..... probably in the next couple of weeks....