PDA

View Full Version : Sierra's + In-Ceilings (How to aim?)

logicology
12-15-2008, 07:46 AM
I have a pair of Sonance s623tr for my surrounds, and Sierra LCR in the front. My question is in regards to the surround Sonance speakers.

Here are specs and info on the Sonance: http://www.sonance.com/products/speakers/detail/264

They are in-ceiling speakers, installed about 12-18 inches in from the corner of the wall and ceiling. They are approximately as far apart as my Sierra fronts and installed to the left and right of the main listening area (a couch). The ceiling is vaulted - about 8 feet at the rear wall, 12 feet at the front wall. The room is about 12 feet wide from rear to front wall.

They have a aim-able woofer and aim-able tweeter. Do you think I should be aiming them right at the listening position, or more at the rear wall to disperse the sound? Or perhaps aim away from the listener? The rear wall is not a solid material. Well, that sounds wierd... what I mean is there are some windows breaking up the wall that would definitely in the path of the sound (for better, or for worse).

Since the woofer and tweeter are seperately aimable, should I aim them both at different areas.

75% of my listening is in stereo for music. I only use the surrounds for TV, movies, and games.

Thank you all very much in advance for your help.

Sam1000
12-15-2008, 11:45 AM
from what I can extrapolate from different discussions regarding surround placement, I would say point both tweeter and woofer at the listening position.

logicology
12-16-2008, 07:40 PM
Thanks a lot for the reply. That is how I have it currently. Maybe I'll experiment just for fun, but my inclination is also what you said.

Anyone elsehave thoughts on this?

debo
12-17-2008, 05:07 PM
I would think if you aimed them at the rear wall you would pick up reflection and this would distort the sound. You always install wall treatments at the first reflection point for this reason.