PDA

View Full Version : I got some speaker stands--could you help?

cats225
12-13-2008, 05:46 AM
I live in a very humid environment. I'm afraid if I put sand in my stands, they will absorb moisture.
What are some of you doing that live in humid climates?
Thanks

GirgleMirt
12-13-2008, 06:26 AM
I went by touch. If the sand feels dry, then it is dry, if it feels moist, then it is not dry! Mine wasn't dry when I bought it, so had to leave it out to dry for a few days...

cats225
12-13-2008, 06:36 AM
Thanks. Do you live in a dry climate? I changed my post above.

GirgleMirt
12-13-2008, 07:02 AM
Do you live in the rain forest or in a jungle? Does water run down your walls from condensation? If not, you're probably safe! You want to use dry sand because if you use wet sand, over time the MDF of the stands could absorb the moisture from sand and that could damage them...

If you'd live in a really, really humid environment, the moisture would get inside your stands anyhow, so you'd be no better off with empty stands than with sand filled stands. If you're really worried about it, which I really don't see why you should, then you could fill them with sand, and simply put a small plastic film to cover the hole of the stands and then tape it hermetically, preventing any moisture from getting it.

But really, if you're in such a moist environment that sand filled speaker stands could get damaged, I'd be a lot more worried about the speakers themselves, amps, computer, computer monitor, etc.

curtis
12-13-2008, 08:30 AM
If you do get sand, make sure it is cleaned and dried sand from the hardware store.

bdfin
12-13-2008, 09:02 AM
If you have a Lowes or Home depot within range they usually have bags of small clean rock out in the garden dept.

cats225
12-13-2008, 10:45 AM
Thank you guys!!

davef
12-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Big fan of using the clumping style cat litter :)