PDA

View Full Version : Better explanation needed of the difference between all the models of subs

robruffo
12-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Why would I want one model rather the other?

What are the key advantages of each?

It's very hard to figure out without a lot of technical knowledge. A comparison chart would really be very useful, and would ease-up indecision, confusion and trigger-pulling procrastination.

That being said, I'm sure they're all great simply because Ascend is selling them, something I'm sure anyone who has ever heard an Ascend speaker or who knows Dave at all would agree with.

I just need more simple info...

curtis
12-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Why would I want one model rather the other?

What are the key advantages of each?

It's very hard to figure out without a lot of technical knowledge. A comparison chart would really be very useful, and would ease-up indecision, confusion and trigger-pulling procrastination.

That being said, I'm sure they're all great simply because Ascend is selling them, something I'm sure anyone who has ever heard an Ascend speaker or who knows Dave at all would agree with.

I just need more simple info...
Between the three subs on the Ascend site?

There is no performance difference between the two 15" subs. The difference is in down firing(D15) vs. front firing(F15), and the available finishes. I see the D15 working well as an end table.

The F12 is the only 12" sub and will have 3-4dB less overall output compared to the 15" subs.

robruffo
12-07-2008, 10:40 PM
But...

What is the difference in sonic performance between the down firing sub and front firing? Why would anyone want the front firing if the down firing has the same performance and is more convenient as furniture?

As for the 12, does it have any sonic advantages over the 15? (like can it cross over more smoothly at higher frequencies (80hrz rather than 60?) Is its only advantage over the 15s that it occupies less space?

curtis
12-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Hopefully Brian will chime in.

12" vs 15" my understanding is that there is very little sonic difference if any...just output.

down vs front, I think some depends on what the sub is placed on. If you want to use it as an end table, the down firing model would be the way to go, but some say that if you have a wood subfloor it is better to go with a front firing.

ebh
12-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Brian has said in the past (I believe) that the 12" can be crossed over higher than the 15". But with the new driver in the 15" an 80hz crossover is fine for the 15".