PDA

View Full Version : 2ch & surround setup sub connection questions

merrymaid520
12-02-2008, 03:26 PM
I have this thread going on over at avs
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1088931

I am looking to utilize the soon to arrive Rythmik in my 2ch setup and of course HT material(movies & etc).

The setup is as follows:

Yamaha Rx-v2600 receiver(only powers the rear surrounds)
Proceed amp3 (powers front 3 sierras)
Proceed Preamp for 2ch with HT bypass

In order to use the Rythmik with the pre-amp during 2ch listening, how can I connect it? Currently for movies, its just the basic RCA cable from the yamahas sub out put into the input of the sub. My thought was to use the preamps unused balanced outputs (with an rca/xlr converter plug) into the second Ryhtmik input?

Any thoughts Dave F. or Brian?

Thanks,
Brandon

RythmikAudio
12-03-2008, 07:51 AM
I have this thread going on over at avs
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1088931

I am looking to utilize the soon to arrive Rythmik in my 2ch setup and of course HT material(movies & etc).

The setup is as follows:

Yamaha Rx-v2600 receiver(only powers the rear surrounds)
Proceed amp3 (powers front 3 sierras)
Proceed Preamp for 2ch with HT bypass

In order to use the Rythmik with the pre-amp during 2ch listening, how can I connect it? Currently for movies, its just the basic RCA cable from the yamahas sub out put into the input of the sub. My thought was to use the preamps unused balanced outputs (with an rca/xlr converter plug) into the second Ryhtmik input?

Any thoughts Dave F. or Brian?

Thanks,
Brandon

There are a three options. First, you can feed the pre-amp to our plate amp and then go to your power amplifier, ie preamp output-> plate amp line in -> plate amp line out -> power amp. In the HT mode, you need to direct all LFE to front channels which will also go to pre-amp output -> plate-amp line in -> plate-amp line out -> power amp.

Alternatively, you can run front speaker full range and direct the LFE again to front speakers. In that case, you don't need the filter function from plate amp line out. That means, you need to go from preamp -> plate amp line in. The preamp also goes to your power amp as usually.

The 3rd option is similar to second one except you use a passive RC filter on your input of your power amp to attenuate the bass signal on your front speakers.

Among these 3, first and third options are more viable.

-Brian

merrymaid520
12-03-2008, 08:13 AM
Brian,

Thanks for getting back to me. A few more questions though. I understand that in the 1st option, I connect the pre-amps output into the Rythmiks input, then a cable from the Rythmik output into my amp. Then you lost me on the HT part? You mentioned directing all my LFE to my fronts, wont this be a bad idea during movies with high SPL's of deep bass? I normally cross over my fronts at about 60hz.

Then also, do I not connect the normal sub out RCA cable from my yamaha receiver into the Rythmik like I had been doing prior?

Thanks again,
Brandon

RythmikAudio
12-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Brian,

Thanks for getting back to me. A few more questions though. I understand that in the 1st option, I connect the pre-amps output into the Rythmiks input, then a cable from the Rythmik output into my amp. Then you lost me on the HT part? You mentioned directing all my LFE to my fronts, wont this be a bad idea during movies with high SPL's of deep bass? I normally cross over my fronts at about 60hz.

Then also, do I not connect the normal sub out RCA cable from my yamaha receiver into the Rythmik like I had been doing prior?

Thanks again,
Brandon

The line outs from our plate amp are filtered at 80hz. So it would filter out the bass signal. Literally, we just move the filtering function from HT receiver to plate amp.

-Brian

merrymaid520
12-03-2008, 08:28 AM
So once I utilize this connection scenario, I will have the mains crossed over at 80hz no matter if I am using the 2 ch pre-amp or playing movies through my receiver, correct. Will I sacrifice any sound quality by going through the Rythmiks amp and I suppose with this route, I cannot run my sierras full range just when using the 2 ch pre-amp with the sub because the subs amp is doing the filtering?

Sorry for all the questions, I am used to just plugging the yamahas sub out connection into the amp of the sub and thats it. Now with the 2ch pre in the mix, and wanting to incorporate the sub, things become challenging.

Brandon

RythmikAudio
12-03-2008, 07:32 PM
There will be some difference. However, that is really just a high pass filter. If you really want to have some filtering and still maintain least coloration, the only method is the passive RC filter at the inputs of your power amp.

You mentioned that you use to use sub output. But in music, it is a bypass. That means you don't have a sub in music mode. It sounds like you just want to find a way to add a sub that can play in music mode. If that is the case, with our plate amps, you can only do one of those 3.

-Brian

merrymaid520
12-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Brian,

I would just feel more comfortable not directing my 2 ch signals through the Rythmiks amp in fear of any loss/effect in quality.

So you mention my only other option is the RC filters? Can you elaborate what they are?

I assume this is my only option then if I dont go through the plate amp?

Thanks!
Brandon

RythmikAudio
12-05-2008, 06:23 AM
Brian,

I would just feel more comfortable not directing my 2 ch signals through the Rythmiks amp in fear of any loss/effect in quality.

So you mention my only other option is the RC filters? Can you elaborate what they are?

I assume this is my only option then if I dont go through the plate amp?

Thanks!
Brandon

Correct. I have two of them myself (I made it out of Tiffany RCA jack and plug). If you'd like, I can loan you first and you can find out if it works for you.

-Brian

merrymaid520
12-05-2008, 08:23 AM
Brian,

So by using these RC filters, they basically filter everything below 80Hz coming into the front L&R channels of my amp? If so, then no matter what I play through the amp, my fronts will always be basically set as "small" as previously done by the receiver?

Normally this is fine for movies & etc. On occasion when listening to just my 2ch preamp, the speakers are running full range, do I not want to run them full range with the new Rythmik then, being I never had the sub hooked up for music before?

Brandon

merrymaid520
12-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Brian,

An more comments on my last post? Also, do those RC filters diminish any signal quality in any way?

Thanks,

Brandon

curtis
12-08-2008, 04:28 PM
No, you do not want run them full range when using the sub.