PDA

View Full Version : Help connecting a squeezebox directly to amp

ebh
11-20-2008, 08:29 AM
So I'm interested in connecting my squeezebox series 2 directly to my amp, bypassing any pre-amp as described in http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Connect_To_PowerAmp . I have a Sherwood Newcastle A-965. It sounds like the first thing I need to figure out is the input sensitivity of my amp. Anyone know where I find this info?

It all sounds a little complicated, but something worth trying. I also need to figure out a switch so I can use both my squeezebox and pre-pro. I have a cheap radioshack one, but if anyone knows of an RCA switch with IR that I could use with my harmony, that would be useful.

curtis
11-20-2008, 08:37 AM
Why not just connect the Squeezebox digitally to your pre/pro?

ebh
11-20-2008, 08:45 AM
Why not just connect the Squeezebox digitally to your pre/pro?

I've heard people say they really enjoy the sound quality of the squeezebox connected directly to the amp. Right now I'm using a Yammy RX-V663 as a pre/pro until I decide what "real" pre/pro to get. I doubt it has the best DACs and whatnot. Currently I have my squeezebox connected via analog cables to the Yammy. I already think it sounds quite a bit better than my previous setup (Panny XR55) thanks to the amp, but wanted to give this a try.

As another question, what do I need for a 12v trigger between the pre/pro and amp? Just a stereo mini cable?

curtis
11-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Since it is quite easy, I would try the digital connection. If you are using bass management on the Yammy, it is digitizing the analog signal you feed it to do the processing.

I actually think for the trigger, it is a mono cable.

ebh
11-20-2008, 09:09 AM
Since it is quite easy, I would try the digital connection. If you are using bass management on the Yammy, it is digitizing the analog signal you feed it to do the processing.

I actually think for the trigger, it is a mono cable.

Good point. I will try it. I was using the "Pure Direct" mode last night, which supposedly sends a straight analog signal (i.e. runs the sierras full range) but haven't played around with adding the subwoofer yet. Just got everything set up and haven't done any tweaking yet.

curtis
11-20-2008, 09:14 AM
I love devices like the Squeezebox...I rarely use my disc player anymore.