PDA

View Full Version : sierra-1 vs. mackie?

genefid
11-05-2008, 07:25 PM
my search for speakers for my stereo setup (small room, listening position about 7 feet from speakers, mostly classical music) lead me to the sierra-1s. all the reviews I read were glowing. I convinced myself that this was the best speaker for my application at my budget (about $1000).

then... a suggestion was made that I consider powered speakers, specifically mackie HR824/624. I believe they're used as studio monitors for mixing music and are well suited for near-field listening. they cost about $1000 per pair, and some say that they compare favorably to any passive speaker, regardless of price.

so... before I pull the trigger on the sierra-1s, anyone have any experience mackies, specifically compared to sierra-1s?

curtis
11-05-2008, 08:40 PM
People have different tastes. I have seen where people love the Mackies, and where people did not think much of them in home settings.

To avoid questions, you really need to compare for yourself. You can probably get the Mackies at a Guitar Center or similar store with a good return policy and give them a try.....and get a pair of Sierras to compare.

Also remember, with the powered speakers, you will need a power outlet of some sort for/near every speaker.