PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo Veneer

davef
10-30-2008, 04:06 PM
well... this is an interesting development... :)

i don't suppose we could get some custom veneers? a pair of those 15's would find their way into my room if i could get a bamboo veneer to match the sierra's... :D

Have already discussed with Brian today. We are going to look into this. I have evaluated some of the bamboo veneers from our bamboo supplier and while they are not an exact match of the 100% bamboo Sierra-1 cabinet, they do come close.

I have also considered an all-bamboo subwoofer enclosure for the ultimate in sound quality (non-resonant cabinet) but the costs of this are prohibitive. However, I am sure some of you might be willing to pay for this - I will look into this option once again. It could easily add 50% to the retail cost.

clarke68
10-30-2008, 04:19 PM
Close (on the veneer) works for me. My stands (built by a forum member) are a close match, but certainly close enough.

While a solid bamboo cabinet is a huge benefit to the Sierra-1, I assumed it would break the price/performance ratio on a larger speaker compared to, say, well-braced MDF. But if you think the sonic benefits would justify (at least some of) the extra cost, I'd be interested.

ebh
10-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Just speaking for myself, but close would be good enough for me in terms of matching a veneer to my Sierras. Which cabinet design are we talking about re: bamboo veneer? I would be happy with either the D-15SE or the F15 in bamboo.

An all-bamboo cabinet would be super cool, but I'm assuming the ones for sale now (esp. the d-15SE, which is the one I'm eying) are already well-braced. It would be interesting to see some specs re: the difference between a bamboo cabinet and the regular cab, but the price point we are at right now is just about right in my mind. Though I am sure some would be willing to spend $1500 for an all bamboo cabinet. And if there was really a large difference in quality I might too. If the additional price were only $200 or so I would be even more likely to go all bamboo.

Still, a bamboo veneer would be great. I'll be waiting to hear if it is possible before ordering, but can't wait to get one of these subs.

Blake1214
10-30-2008, 07:41 PM
Have already discussed with Brian today. We are going to look into this. I have evaluated some of the bamboo veneers from our bamboo supplier and while they are not an exact match of the 100% bamboo Sierra-1 cabinet, they do come close.

I have also considered an all-bamboo subwoofer enclosure for the ultimate in sound quality (non-resonant cabinet) but the costs of this are prohibitive. However, I am sure some of you might be willing to pay for this - I will look into this option once again. It could easily add 50% to the retail cost.

Hi Dave,

Are you considering F15 in Piano Black at all?

ccotenj
10-31-2008, 05:16 AM
thanks dave... i know i've been a pita about the bamboo... :o

i'd be happy with a "close enough" veneer, personally... especially knowing your definition of "close enough"... :)

as far as the all bamboo enclosure... if you are happy with the existing enclosures, that's good enough for me... given the additional cost of doing a full bamboo one, it kills the price/performance ratio....

Sam1000
10-31-2008, 01:11 PM
Hi Dave:
I think there would be a market for all Bamboo cabinet if you provide that as an option.

I have Mirage s12 and I was thinking of upgrading to Ascend sub. My criteria was that it should come close to JL f112/f113 in SQ. I also have a room with a lot of big openings, so I was also looking at a little high SPL with compact size:D It is very possible that Rhythmic is a huge upgrade over S12, but I also want to protect myself from future upgrade.

As Curtis has mentioned in one of his post, he would go f113 if price was not an issue. Can the bamboo cabinet make significant upgrade to SQ for additional $400 - $500? (think about 340SE vs Sierra1 as a reference) In that case, someone like me would buy that sub instead of buying JL sub. The f113 and f112 are averaging $1900 and $2400 respectively on Agon.

In the meantime, I'll continue saving the money for the sub..

ccotenj
10-31-2008, 02:16 PM
Can the bamboo cabinet make significant upgrade to SQ for additional $400 - $500? (think about 340SE vs Sierra1 as a reference)

y'know, that's a good question... i'd be interested in dave's thoughts on that as well...

a pair of bamboo cabinet 12's sounds appealing to me... :) in for a penny, in for a pound... it's not like the veneer option would be free (i'd guess at least in the $100 area), so if a bamboo cabinet was $400 more than a "standard" cabinet, that's really only $300 more... so if in dave's opinion a full bamboo cabinet really IS a significant upgrade, that would probably be $300 well spent...

how much more would a bamboo cabinet weigh? or is it about the same?

davef
11-03-2008, 10:56 PM
as far as the all bamboo enclosure... if you are happy with the existing enclosures, that's good enough for me... given the additional cost of doing a full bamboo one, it kills the price/performance ratio....

I do think it will kill the price to performance ratio, but I am looking into this anyway for my own curiosity :rolleyes:

clarke68
11-03-2008, 11:10 PM
I do think it will kill the price to performance ratio, but I am looking into this anyway for my own curiosity :rolleyes:I encourage you to at least look in to it. I also encourage you to have enough prototype cabinets built that you could hook up ccotenj and I when you're done with them... :D

davef
11-03-2008, 11:15 PM
Can the bamboo cabinet make significant upgrade to SQ for additional $400 - $500? (think about 340SE vs Sierra1 as a reference) In that case, someone like me would buy that sub instead of buying JL sub. The f113 and f112 are averaging $1900 and $2400 respectively on Agon. In the meantime, I'll continue saving the money for the sub..

This is something I would have to experiment with to give a definitive answer. It is not just the bamboo cabinet that differentiates the Sierra-1 and 340 SE -- every component was upgraded as well, including the overall design philosophy.

Theoretically, the bamboo cabinet can make considerable improvements, less flexing of the cabinet walls, less energy loss... Manufacturing problems come into play because the baffle walls are so large. The bamboo paneling that we purchase is not available in the same size sheets as MDF -- they are much smaller. The sheet size is large enough to cut a baffle, but the amount of waste is significant. Of course, it would be the very first bamboo subwoofer that I know of (probably the only one) :D

ccotenj
11-04-2008, 05:44 AM
I encourage you to at least look in to it. I also encourage you to have enough prototype cabinets built that you could hook up ccotenj and I when you're done with them... :D

my man... :D

but like i said, if dave is happy with the existing enclosures, we KNOW that they are "good enough"... and if the bamboo drove the price up to around $1.5k, that becomes a pretty tough neighborhood to play in...

ebh
11-04-2008, 11:07 AM
in the meantime, bamboo veneer on the front-firing 15" pretty please :D

BradJudy
11-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Perhaps DaveF/Rythmik could provide JasonColeman with a diagram of the enclosures and he could price out building one-off Bamboo enclosures to use with the Rythmik kits (they are different sizes than the diagrams supplied by Rythmik.

ccotenj
11-08-2008, 05:32 AM
since jason uses plyboo for the stands (and they sure are pretty, i have 3 of them), it probably doesn't have the structural integrity that the stuff dave uses for the sierra has...

of course, that's a guess, but i imagine the plyboo idea crossed dave's mind somewhere along the way... :)

davef
11-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Perhaps DaveF/Rythmik could provide JasonColeman with a diagram of the enclosures and he could price out building one-off Bamboo enclosures to use with the Rythmik kits (they are different sizes than the diagrams supplied by Rythmik.

Hi Brad,

While Jason's wood working skills are excellent, making large subwoofer enclosures like these is nearly impossible without a top quality CNC router, multiple people to assist and loads of empty space. Jason would also have to consider packaging methods... The labor involved and the logistics would simply be too complex.

logicology
02-27-2010, 08:25 AM
Has there been any more talk of bamboo subs? I have an order in for a D15 (waiting for more to come in stock). But I'd cancel that and order a bamboo one if there are any available.

RythmikAudio
03-01-2010, 08:42 AM
Has there been any more talk of bamboo subs? I have an order in for a D15 (waiting for more to come in stock). But I'd cancel that and order a bamboo one if there are any available.

That has become lower priority now.