PDA

View Full Version : F15 and D15SE comparison

chas
10-30-2008, 12:46 PM
What are the performance differences between these subs? Is the down-firing D15 a higher performance sub?

curtis
10-30-2008, 01:19 PM
I think the only difference is downfiring vs front firing, and the finish.

Perfomance differences are negligible if any.

merrymaid520
10-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Curtis,

I know you have had some experience with the Rythmics in the past and have been very happy. I currently have the previous SVS PC Ultra 12" cylinder sub from several years back. I am looking to upgrade and would like a bit more tight/accurate bass but not suffer and lose extension(how deep it goes). Have you heard the old SVS and from memory comparing to the rythmics, how would they compare?

Congrats to Dave F.. The subs look like a winner!

Thanks,

Brandon

curtis
10-30-2008, 02:22 PM
I have heard other SVS's, but not that one in particular.

I have no doubt though that these Rythmiks would be a step up in sound quality. The 15" Rythmik does the 16hz organ note fine.

merrymaid520
10-30-2008, 02:29 PM
Hey curtis,

Sorry to bug ya, what SVS 's did you hear by chance, just to give me a reference point? I ultimately want an overall improvement (output, SQ, & etc) before making a purchase.

I don't expect huge improvments in terms of depth/output, but a bit of a difference would be great!

Thanks!
Brandon

curtis
10-30-2008, 02:32 PM
The latest being the PB13-Ultra.

These Rythmiks will not have the output of the Ultra, but IMO, their SQ surpasses it.

How loud do you listen to your material? People looking at maximum output oftern overlook performance in the normal "operating range".

merrymaid520
10-30-2008, 03:06 PM
I dont listen at reference levels thats for sure. Probably 5-7db below that. I just truly enjoy accurate bass response whether its a sub or from my sierras running 2ch. The room that this would be in measures about 14x17 with large openings into a dining room & kitchen each roughly the same size. Ceiling height is vaulted and goes to about 13ft high.

curtis
10-30-2008, 03:14 PM
I dont listen at reference levels thats for sure. Probably 5-7db below that. I just truly enjoy accurate bass response whether its a sub or from my sierras running 2ch. The room that this would be in measures about 14x17 with large openings into a dining room & kitchen each roughly the same size. Ceiling height is vaulted and goes to about 13ft high.
Is your current sub running out of steam now?

merrymaid520
10-30-2008, 03:33 PM
I will put it this way, during heavy bass scenes such as War of the Worlds (Pod emergence scene) for example, it has enough output to shake the room a bit and viewers feel the bass. This is enough for me typically. I just get the sense during some well recorded action movies(on Blu-ray for example) that the SVS is not as tight as others out there. A bit boomy during some scenes. It does sound great, but room for improvement.

edit: its the chest thumping hard hitting bass I am after most, to summarize my quest:)

curtis
10-30-2008, 03:55 PM
Well, I can tell you that from my experience with other subs, the Rythmik is at least as good as anything else I have heard in sound quality. The JL 112 I heard, might have a bit more punch in the upper bass though.

As for your quest for chest thumping bass, it is hard for me to comment without having experienced your setup.

merrymaid520
10-30-2008, 04:02 PM
Good to know. If the rythmik is close in comparsion to the JL fathoms, that says alot considering the great reputation they have for accurate musical bass. Those seem to be considered some of the best in terms of musical sealed subs. For the rythmiks to come fairly close in performance, for a ton less cash, thats great news!

Thanks Curtis! I may just try one of the 15" Rythmiks.

Brandon

RythmikAudio
10-30-2008, 06:00 PM
It is correct that F15 and D15SE both use the same driver/amplifier combination. D15SE should not be used on wood subfloor. Otherwise, it will transmit a bulk of acoustic energy to the wood subfloor. However, if it is used on a concrete subfloor, the enclosure will be more stable. I would also recommend the xover frequency to be around 60hz if possible, and not higher than 80hz.

Hope this helps.

merrymaid520
10-30-2008, 06:10 PM
When you say not on a wood flr, most people have plywood for subflooring then carpet over the top. This would eliminate alot of potential people from buying the D15 for its Piano finish? I myself have the carpet over the plywood and want the D15 for its matching finish with my sierras, will this be ok?

Thanks,

Brandon

RythmikAudio
10-30-2008, 06:22 PM
When you say not on a wood flr, most people have plywood for subflooring then carpet over the top. This would eliminate alot of potential people from buying the D15 for its Piano finish? I myself have the carpet over the plywood and want the D15 for its matching finish with my sierras, will this be ok?

Thanks,

Brandon

If you do have to consider D15SE on a wood subfloor, do a foot stump test in the room and then on the spot of sub placement. Not all wood subfloors are created eqaul. If you hear the vibration transmit to walls, then it is not a good place to have downfiring sub. Some areas of wood subfloor can still use downfiring subs, for instance, the area where there is wall beneath it. The wall below is essential to ensure minimal subfloor vibration. It is like bracing :D

merrymaid520
10-30-2008, 06:45 PM
In my situation, the sub is up against an outside wall that is poured concrete below in the basement. If it were in the middle of the room that might be a problem. The house is only 5 yrs old and the floor is very rigid with no squeaking or vibrations. Thoughts?

Brandon

edit: To cheat the downfiring sub I have heard others placing them on a side also.

ebh
10-30-2008, 08:21 PM
It is correct that F15 and D15SE both use the same driver/amplifier combination. D15SE should not be used on wood subfloor. Otherwise, it will transmit a bulk of acoustic energy to the wood subfloor. However, if it is used on a concrete subfloor, the enclosure will be more stable. I would also recommend the xover frequency to be around 60hz if possible, and not higher than 80hz.

Hope this helps.

learn something new every day :) Now I really want to see a F15 in bamboo veneer or a bamboo enclosure. That for me will be the sub to get.

Sam1000
10-31-2008, 01:21 PM
How much difference would Auralex gamma make on a wodden floor down down firing sub?

Gov
11-08-2008, 12:36 PM
How much difference would Auralex gamma make on a wodden floor down down firing sub?

I use one of these SubDude's under my Mirage S12 and quite frankly I think it was wasted money. I don't think I have seen one single measurement where it improves anything.
I spoke to Chad the owner of Epik Subwoofers and asked him about these isolation platforms. He said he has never noticed any benefit with one and told me to just put the sub on the floor like it was designed to do.
Maybe Brian from Rythmik would comment on this.

curtis
11-08-2008, 01:50 PM
I use one of these SubDude's under my Mirage S12 and quite frankly I think it was wasted money. I don't think I have seen one single measurement where it improves anything.
I spoke to Chad the owner of Epik Subwoofers and asked him about these isolation platforms. He said he has never noticed any benefit with one and told me to just put the sub on the floor like it was designed to do.
Maybe Brian from Rythmik would comment on this.
The only make a difference if the floor is raised wood, or carpeted on raised wood. If it is concrete beneath the carpet or tile, then they will have no impact.

Gov
11-08-2008, 03:45 PM
The only make a difference if the floor is raised wood, or carpeted on raised wood. If it is concrete beneath the carpet or tile, then they will have no impact.

Do you mean a plywood subfloor then carpeted or tiled on top of that?

ironmike86
11-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Is your floor was tiled right it would be like concrete. Backer board and all the thinset. The tiles itself. The subdue is suppose to be used on wood or carpet on wood subfloor.

ccotenj
11-15-2008, 05:19 PM
i don't have a down-firing sub (have a paradigm servo 15v2)... so i don't know how much help this will be...

the gramma worked wonders in my room in terms of reducing vibrations...

of course, i'm on the 2nd floor of a 105 year old house... pine board floor nailed directly to the joists... yes, it's a rattly and squeaky place... :)

i don't think it would do a darn thing on a concrete or tiled floor though...

robruffo
11-20-2008, 01:44 AM
I see you 105 years, and raise you 50 to a 155 year old building....

Here a Subdude on pine-slab floors did wonders to help bass tightness, and reduce transmission to my long-suffering downstairs neighbors.

I think the wobblier your floors are, the more a subdude will make a difference. and is worth it.

soundfreak38
11-21-2008, 04:52 PM
I bought (2) Grammas to go under my Outlaw LFM-1Pluses. The reason being, is that the Pluses seemed to sink quite deeply into my carpet. As such, the sound became quite muffled. However, once I placed the Grammas under my Pluses things really came alive! Floor vibrations were significantly reduced and things tightened up a bunch. Personally, I have to have tight, punchy, articulate bass as I can NOT stand one-note bass. It just drives me BONKERS! :eek::eek: My plan is to upgrade to one of the 15" Rythmiks as soon as I can. Unfortunately, it may be a while. ;);)

Cheers,

Phil