PDA

View Full Version : Ascends / VTF2 -- LOVE IT!

Derek
03-12-2004, 04:14 AM
I'm glad you like your setup!

I always choose a dts track over the dd track. Dts tracks are compressed at a higher bit rate which should sound better.

In terms of the 6/7.1 over 5.1, I think it depends on the size and layout of your room. If your room is small and/or the surround speakers are near the seating position, you may not notice the extra rear channels. However if your room is large and you have a lot of room between the surrounds (and behind you), the extra channels should help fill in the hole behind you.

You can experiment with the extra channels by using a pair of your old speakers. Of course they won't match sonically, but it should give you a pretty good idea if you will gain anything.

Enjoy your new setup!

Derek

edit:

Missed a question. dts-es uses one rear speaker while dd-ex uses two rear speakers, but both speakers receive the same signal.

stroms
03-12-2004, 04:31 AM
Do they actually mix the 6th channel separately? And if so, if I listened to The DTS ES without the 6th speaker would I being missing some of the Soundtrack?

Derek
03-12-2004, 04:44 AM
In dts-es, there is a discrete 6th channel. I'm pretty sure if you don't have the rear center (or your receiver can't decode dts-es), then the rear center channel gets mixed into the two surround channels.

Derek