PDA

View Full Version : Room echo help

billym
10-11-2008, 08:03 AM
I just received my new 350SE front stage for all of the front stage, and I do see an improvement from what I had. My main problem is echo, I tried some things to tame it but still need help. Can someone give me suggestions by looking at these photos?
Thanks

bdfin
10-11-2008, 08:40 AM
Well it appears you have plenty of issues in there. I am by no means an expert and I'm sure you'll get some more qualified responses but........... if that's a ceramic tile floor I see it doesn't get much more reflective than that. A larger thicker rug for the floor or carpeting over it would help. The expansive ceiling can be a problem but I had a living room like that that wasn't too bad a listening area while the floor was carpeted, but after putting down laminate flooring it was an echo chamber. So once again the floor covering I would think would make the most difference. The nick nack cabinet in the corner also very reflective. An open bookshelf full of books actually would be way better there. Also, your own idea of a thicker window covering is a good plan. You should be able to keep the lamps unless you want to sit in the dark all the time, but re-evaluate the other hard surface items in the decor that you could maybe do without.

buddhadas
10-11-2008, 08:52 AM
Hi Bill,

Are acoustic treatments an option for you? If they are, I would suggest panels and bass traps. I got mine from GIK acoustics. In my opinion they helped my sound far more than any other upgrade I have tried. Of course I am single and don't have to appease other peoples design needs. GIK's panels are relatively cheap, which for me was a huge bonus. Here is a pic of my front stage, window on the right, and open to foyer and kitchen and hallway on the left. Hope this helps.

Peace,

Jim

chas
10-11-2008, 10:45 AM
You might want to try over at the Home Theater Shack. They have a forum for room acoustics, and a couple of experts (including from GIK) that offer helpful advice.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-acoustics/