PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Tampa

billym
10-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Just got email my 340SE speakers shipped today. Decided to get 340's for the fronts. I have some old 1977 pioneer's with 12" woofers for surrounds, they work great, and old as they are they sound great. Overkill is an understatement but they work for me very well. I made a post in the AVS forum so will copy it here as this is where I found the Ascend information that helped me decide on my order:

Ascend 340 vs. SVS SCS-01 Front stage?
Canceled my order for SVS speakers as they are back order until November. Ran across this thread and done some research and ordered the 340's from Ascend site last night! The price is $220 more for the 340's and I hope the extra bucks is worth it. I currently have Boston Acoustics CR77 L/R and CRC7 Center. The B.A. are not even close to the same specs. as the 340's but I have severe hearing loss, not much above 1.8Khz, (thanks to working 22yrs. on Air Force aircraft) but I am most sensitive to sound below that, since that's all I have left. Will the 340's be better with dialog which I have most problem with? The front stage I have seems to be weakest link of my system. I have a killer SVS PC_13 Ultra Sub and love the movies and music with good bass. Anyone have thoughts on this? Did I make the right choice?

buddhadas
10-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Hi, Welcome to the gang!

When you say 340's across the front, does that include the center as well? The reason I ask, is that when I upgraded to the 340 se center, all of my previous issues with dialogue vanished. This center anchors the dialogue so well it is amazing. I have all three 340's across the front for my HT and could not be happier!
Let us know how you like them once you get them hooked up.

Peace,

Jim

billym
10-07-2008, 06:43 AM
Hi, Welcome to the gang!

When you say 340's across the front, does that include the center as well?
Peace,

Jim

Yes Jim, for sure!

DougMac
10-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Welcome Bill!

I have 340's across the front and I'm very pleased with them. Dialog using the 340SE C is very clear for both male and female voices. I'm hoping you find the 340 center an improvement, I'm not familiar with those particular Boston Acoustics.

I found that there was a definate break in for the 340's. My son noticed it too. He heard them almost straight out of the box, then two weeks later. He remarked how much they had opened up. He felt they sounded fine when he first heard them, but when they were broken in he was very impressed.

Doug

davef
10-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Hi Bill,

Wishing you a warm welcome to the community :)

Enjoy your new speakers!!

billym
10-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Setup my new 340's and wow, they are seem bigger than I expected, although I did see measurements and specs. before placing my order. My first thoughts are they do sound more alive and dynamic and dialog somewhat better, not leaps and bounds, but that is no fault of these speakers. My hearing as I said peaks at 1.8Khz. This makes it almost impossible to decipher dialog in movies especially with background sound effects. I always use subtitles anyway for most movies. I need to do some room treatments for echo, and that may help. I must say so far I'm happy with the 340's and maybe with more tweaking and so forth, I will get even more satisfaction from these great sounding speakers. You folks out there with decent hearing should be thankful, I sure miss my hearing and would give anything to have even a little bit restored.