PDA

View Full Version : Room Diagram for your perusal

dallas
08-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Hi, I drew this up of my media room. I thought I would put it out there to see if there are any criticisms at a setup/mathmatical level.

Also, am I the first person in the world to set up their home theater "at an angle"? I cant' find anyone else who has. I thought this gave me the best speaker distances and glare control. Also I thought it would elongate many reflections, and force them to double bounce.

Ceiling, 8ft.

Everything is damn near perfectly accurate in placement, orientation, and size. Trust me, I measured more than once.

One question I have, with the speakers being in very different distances to the walls behind them, Should I be concerned about crossing them over below 80HZ?

I haven't got to running up some graphs, that's on my to do list.

DougMac
08-15-2008, 11:19 AM
In your situation, setting up on a diagonal makes perfect sense. I wonder if it will have the added benefit of minimizing standing waves.

Illustrations I've seen indicate side surrounds should be slightly behind the listening area, but I concur with your decision to keep the speaker distances you have.

I'm curious about your sub placement. Did you arrive at that decision logistically or sonically?

Doug

dallas
08-15-2008, 11:35 AM
In your situation, setting up on a diagonal makes perfect sense. I wonder if it will have the added benefit of minimizing standing waves.

Illustrations I've seen indicate side surrounds should be slightly behind the listening area, but I concur with your decision to keep the speaker distances you have.

I'm curious about your sub placement. Did you arrive at that decision logistically or sonically?

Doug

Well, the sub placement hasn't quite "arrived" yet. It was in the opposite corner which is the best aesthetic (out of the way) place, but I was stringing 2 cables across the room with an adapter to reach it. I don't want to buy a cable that long until I equalize and decide on it's home. It's where it's at now just so the cable reaches. I tried it back in the "cubby" hole, but that is also where I have a very bad structural vibration, so that was annoying.

Doing the "put the sub where you sit" trick is a bit tough with a sub that literally weighs a couple more pounds than I do. I can slide it on the carpet though :).

It will probably end up back where it started, especially since the size of that corner allows me to adjust the placement and angle however needed to tweak to the room.

glitton
08-15-2008, 08:31 PM
Also, am I the first person in the world to set up their home theater "at an angle"? I cant' find anyone else who has.

I was wondering the same thing :p

I just got my 3xSierras and 2x200SEs recently and arranged my room on the diagonal at the same time (see attached).

One benefit for me is that the speakers face toward the room entry that leads to a table where I spend a lot of my time during the day working. Music is on pretty much all day long :)

I'll be doing more experimenting but it sure sounds good now!

I did some searching on the AV forums and found other posts about diagonal setups. Floyd Toole talks about it a bit in this white paper:
http://www.harmaninternational.com/about_harman/technology_leadership.aspx (White Papers - Part 1 How Many Loudspeakers - page 9

Gary

dallas
08-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Thanks for that link glitton, there was some interesting stuff out there. I'm almost shocked my thoughts of setting it up diagonal were actually true! :eek:

I see you have almost the exact same size room, but you put the couches much further back from the TV. I'm guessing you use it more as a family room, kids running around, etc.

glitton
08-28-2008, 09:55 PM
I see you have almost the exact same size room, but you put the couches much further back from the TV. I'm guessing you use it more as a family room, kids running around, etc.

No, no more rug rats :)

We prefer this distance...I think you and I just represent the two extremes of those who like to sit closer and those who like to sit farther back. You're at about twice your diagonal screen size - I'm at about 3x mine.

fyi...my set is an ISF calibrated Hitachi 57SWX20B. Still lovin' the picture quality of this monitor...

Gary

dallas
08-29-2008, 07:34 AM
No, no more rug rats :)

We prefer this distance...I think you and I just represent the two extremes of those who like to sit closer and those who like to sit farther back. You're at about twice your diagonal screen size - I'm at about 3x mine.

fyi...my set is an ISF calibrated Hitachi 57SWX20B. Still lovin' the picture quality of this monitor...

Gary

Sony 60" SXRD (kds-a2000)

Technically we'd like to go with FP and scree at some point to get that immersion in film. But back when I got that, I wasn't yet happy with the FP quality, prices, and longevity. Probably the next time I "need" to buy we will be getting a 100" projector/screen. Or if I'm lucky, a equally sized OLED display..... :)