PDA

View Full Version : Sweetspot size and other issues

curtis
03-10-2004, 03:14 PM
Sigma...it was not the Athena towers I heard...it was the bookshelves. I heard them at BestBuy, and the conditions were far from ideal.

I just had couple over tonight to hear the Ascends. When they heard the CBM-170s, one of them said "They sound big for their size", and when I played the CMT-340's he said "They sound bigger". They were comparing the speakers to the Energy C-7 and C-9 I believe. Yes...the liked the Ascends, and were going to call Ascend to get pricing.

I have had the M60's in my house, and have heard them a few times at a friend's. In my opinion, the only thing the CMT-340 gives up to it is bass extension...from there on up, I like my speakers better. You will have to do a psych test on me to see how much bias I have.

No worries...I am sure all of us on the forum will help you as much as we can.

-curtis

Lou-the-dog
03-10-2004, 09:37 PM
Sigma,

With their extremely flat frequency response, I don't think you'll ever hear anyone describe the Ascends as laid-back. Neutral/forward does fit tho.

Randy

Sigma B
03-10-2004, 11:40 PM
what about the size of the sweetspot?

Sigma B
03-10-2004, 11:49 PM
also how much is the pair of 340L/R? Stands are 140 i think i read....

curtis
03-10-2004, 11:51 PM
The size of the sweet spot will vary from room to room and positioning of the speakers.

Unless something has changed, the 340L/R's are $498/pr.

-curtis

Gregisme
03-11-2004, 04:08 AM
I think he's looking for an "all things being equal" kind of response. Take any speaker of similar size and put it in the same kind of room as the Ascends. Will the Ascends have a bigger than the average, average, or less than average sized sweet spot?

Sigma B, correct me if I'm wrong, if I've missed your point. [:p]

Sigma B
03-11-2004, 04:13 AM
yup

bombadil67
03-12-2004, 10:27 AM
Sigma,

I may have half the answer: Concerning the 170's, they have a nice size soundstage, at least as large as my Monitor Audio floorstanders (Silver 5i's), with more depth, detail, and what I consider a large "sweet spot." The CBM's have excellent dispersion characteristics. In fact, unless I am nearfiel, I cannot hear much of a differnce in sound from seated to standing position. Yes, horizontal dispersion is equally impressive.

With my Titan sub. the sound is very full and satisfying from all areas of my 13x20 room.[:D]

That's half the answer because I haven't heard the 340's and cannot comment there.[:(]