PDA

View Full Version : pc to lcd and amp?

get_zwole
08-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Hey guys i have a Dell XPS computer. I would like to get rid of my computer desk and monitor and just use my 52 inch i have on the wall for my monitor. I have a samsung a550 52 inch. For this i need a dvi from computer to hdmi to the tv right? Then how do i get sound from the sound card to my onkyo 606? On my sound card i have black, light green, orang and yellow i believe. Also i have another DVI on my sound card. So would it work if i just went another dvi to hdmi straight to the 606 itself? thanks for the help sorry ive never even thought about doing this so im confused a bit.

P Seastrand
08-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Ideally your PC will have a digital output, probably coax. If so, you can connect this to your receiver which should also have a coax digital input. This will give you the better sound than if you connect the analog outputs.

get_zwole
08-06-2008, 09:54 PM
ok so one of the 4 colors should be coax. Ill get my manual out in the morning and check it out.

If theres a dvi connection on the soundcard wouldnt that just send the sound through the hdmi/dvi cord though? I could be wrong thats why im asking. I would think that would be better sound if it would work. Thanks for the quick reply man.

DougMac
08-07-2008, 06:31 AM
Also i have another DVI on my sound card.
What sound card do you have? Are you sure it's a DVI connector and not a MIDI or some other connector?

Having a DVI (Digital Video Interface) connector on a sound card is non-sensical. The DVI standard does not include audio pinouts, where HDMI does. HDMI was designed in a way to allow backwards compatibility to DVI through appropriate connectors. HDMI and DVI use the same video encoding scheme, therefore the DVI/HDMI adapter is just a mechanical interface. HDMI adds pins for digital audio to make it a one cable solution.

Did you buy your card with your computer or did you add it later? As mentioned, you need a card with a digital out to send to your receiver for best quality.

My son uses his laptop as the media source for his home theater. He's running the newest Windows Media Center under Vista, feeding a front projector and an audio mixer hooked up to powered speakers. It works great for him. He's about to add an external Blu Ray drive.

Doug

get_zwole
08-07-2008, 10:41 AM
thanks for the replies guys i think this is my soundcard
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeGamer (D) Sound Card
it was the best one dell offered with the xps 410 when i bought it.

P Seastrand
08-07-2008, 11:33 AM
The 26 pin connector on your audio card is "For linking to the X-Fi I/O Console (upgrade option)".

I just looked at the user's guide for your computer and found this:
12 - S/PDIF connector: Use the S/PDIF connector to transmit digital audio without going through an analog audio conversion process. On computers with a sound card, use the connector on the card.

Based on the picture, it looks like it's a fiber optic connection, not a coax connection. Assuming your receiver has fiber optic inputs, you'll just need a fiber cable, such as this one from Monoprice.com (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=2763&seq=1&format=2)

curtis
08-07-2008, 11:35 AM
That sound card as a digital output, but requires a special cable since it is shared by the 3.5mm jack.

Just get that cable and connect it to the digital input of the 606 and you should be all set.

curtis
08-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Oh...if it is a fiber optic connection.....the do what P Seastrand says to do.

Can you get us an actual picture of the sound card in the PC?

get_zwole
08-07-2008, 12:34 PM
thanks for the reply guys
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/gbart1985/DSC01430.jpg

this is about the best pic i can get of it without it being blurry.

That last color the blue says "OR" on it does that mean optical something? thanks for all the help guys.

DougMac
08-07-2008, 12:51 PM
That sound card as a digital output, but requires a special cable since it is shared by the 3.5mm jack.

Just get that cable and connect it to the digital input of the 606 and you should be all set.

Here's a link to the special cable you need:
http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?product=33&campid=20445&WT.cg_n=Campaigns&WT.mc_id=3863

get_zwole
08-07-2008, 08:16 PM
so i connect that cable to the far input the blue or OR input right? then just optical to the input im using for the pc? thanks again guys.

curtis
08-07-2008, 08:39 PM
whatever one the manual says is the optical output on the card....and then to an optical input on the 606....which I am sure is assignable.