PDA

View Full Version : Amping Sierras

malibu
07-23-2008, 11:18 AM
I just received my Sierras and am powering them with an Arcam alpha one integrated amp. I was a bit worried since it is rated 35 W/ch @ 8 Ohms, and the 'minimum' is 45 according to Ascend. I have a pretty small room, like 11' x 12', and found that 35 W/ch is plenty in terms of volume. The most I turn the volume knob is around 9 or 10 o'clock. So, should I just be happy and stick with the Arcam, or am I missing out somehow by not having a more powerful amp? Also, besides power, how much would the Sierra's benefit from a higher quality amp, and in what ways?

dallas
07-23-2008, 04:15 PM
If it's loud enough for you, then you have plenty power. If you are not crossovered, you may miss some power in the low ranges at louder levels.

davef
07-25-2008, 12:08 AM
I just received my Sierras and am powering them with an Arcam alpha one integrated amp. I was a bit worried since it is rated 35 W/ch @ 8 Ohms, and the 'minimum' is 45 according to Ascend. I have a pretty small room, like 11' x 12', and found that 35 W/ch is plenty in terms of volume. The most I turn the volume knob is around 9 or 10 o'clock. So, should I just be happy and stick with the Arcam, or am I missing out somehow by not having a more powerful amp? Also, besides power, how much would the Sierra's benefit from a higher quality amp, and in what ways?

High malibu,

Your Arcam alpha has plenty of power to drive the Sierra-1 and I would consider it a high quality amp. Do you feel that you are running out of power at some point or not able to play the system loud enough?