PDA

View Full Version : Sierra setup advice

shawn784
07-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Just received my sierra l/c/r. Very impressed.

I have some basic installation questions.

What are the optimal placement for these speakers such as angling them in etc.?

Also there were some black circle pads or cushions that came with them.

Should i use those if sitting them on a wood surface such as inside a cabinet?

also what do you think about the audyssey auto setup? Besides the trim settings do you like the eq or should i turn off the eq since the speakers are suppose to be very neutral and therefore need no eq help to obtain a flat response?

my receiver is an onkyo 805 if anybody has any experience with that line of receivers

I will post some pictures of my setup.

thanks

davef
07-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Hi Shawn784,

Just received my sierra l/c/r. Very impressed.

I have some basic installation questions.

What are the optimal placement for these speakers such as angling them in etc.?

There are many variables with regard to optimal placement. Listening distance from the speakers, speaker height, size and shape of your room, placement of furniture etc... Without a diagram or more info, it is impossible to make any recommendations.

That being said, experiment with placement. If they sound better to you with a slight toe-in (angling them inward) go got it, if not, avoid it. Generally speaking, toeing the speakers in will present a more precise center image but narrow the soundstage. There is no right or wrong, whatever you prefer :)

Also there were some black circle pads or cushions that came with them.

Should i use those if sitting them on a wood surface such as inside a cabinet?

Yes.. absolutely!

also what do you think about the audyssey auto setup? Besides the trim settings do you like the eq or should i turn off the eq since the speakers are suppose to be very neutral and therefore need no eq help to obtain a flat response?

my receiver is an onkyo 805 if anybody has any experience with that line of receivers

This is another option that should be experimented with. Try the speakers with and without Audyssey correction. I can say that we have customers that are using it and are pleased and others that are not.

Enjoy!!