PDA

View Full Version : Hello There Ascend Community

quee
07-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Hi there Ascend forum readers!

I'm way over here on the east coast in Pennsylvania and wanted to send my thanks for all the user reviews and responses on this forum and on other forums regarding Ascend speakers. Because of all the favorable reviews I ordered a few pairs of reconditioned natural Sierra-1's for my humble basement HT/music/gaming set-up. It was also from reading the forums that I realized that I needed to enjoy being a bachelor while I still could! So I made the purchase and justified it as a self graduation gift ;)

I am an amateur at this hobby (although I've dabbled in mediocre headphones and headphone amps), but I am extremely excited to audition the Sierra's. I am pretty sure I am going to fall in love with them, since my previous system was a Logitech z-5500 (no joke!). Now it looks like I'll be running a 7.1 with all Sierra's, an SVS PB-12 Plus oak, and an H/K AVR 247. I'm not sure if that is enough juice for a 20'x20'x9' room with tons of junk in it, as 50 watts per channel is on the bottom end of the Sierra's recommended power. In a few months I may be moving out to a smaller room anyways and I only listen at moderate volume levels. I'd like to hold off on an amp until I can find a great deal.

I have a few questions I'll save until after I have had a listen. Hello again and farewell for now!

jvillas
07-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Hi quee, and welcome. Congratulations on your Sierra purchase. Share with us your feedback once you get set-up and running.

davef
07-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Hi Quee,

Welcome to the family and please don't hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

Hope you enjoy the Sierra-1 :)

quee
07-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I have had the pleasure of listening to the Sierra-1 for more than a week now and I am completely blown away. Thanks for creating and sharing such a masterpiece Dave. The speakers have transported me to a sonic euphoria, bringing out details I have never heard before with a degree of clarity and imaging that I did not know was even possible. At least twice I even had to consciously bring myself back to reality because I was about to drool all over myself!

The speakers look fantastic. I can hardly believe they are recertified, as whoever had them previously really took good care of them.

I am not completely satisfied with my placement, and know I need a good sets of speaker stands (maybe just for the surrounds?). To illustrate, here is what it looks like (excuse the mess).

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i279/gotwelts/DSC01192.jpg

Good thing the center channel is shielded! Eventually I'll get a proper TV stand and the center channel will not have to be so far forward.

Left Surround:
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i279/gotwelts/DSC01194.jpg

During certain movie scenes the furnace makes a great resonator :/

Rear Surrounds (this is just embarrassing):
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i279/gotwelts/DSC01196.jpg

I have been looking around for a speaker stand that would match up well with the beautiful Sierra-1 Natural, but so far have not found anything. I really like the look of the 340 stands, but would prefer something matching a bamboo or oak finish. Any suggestions on speakers stands or placement?

davef
07-21-2008, 11:28 PM
Hi quee,

Your setup looks like one of my engineering labs --- I am sure your Sierra-1 feel right at home :)

Glad that you are enjoying them and I do recommend stands for both the front and rears.

Enjoy!!