PDA

View Full Version : cmt340's at large and use the subs crossover?

get_zwole
06-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Hey guys my receiver is as some of you know pretty old its a HK avr65 the crossover on it is non adjustable. I got my sub in but im missing some midbass from the mains. Can i run the mains at large like i have been and just use the sub's crossover for now until i upgrade my receiver? This should be the same thing ive been doing for the past few weeks just without the sub now i have it. Just wanted to double check before i did it thanks.

dallas
06-27-2008, 10:28 AM
Not sure what sub you have, but you likely have pre amplification inputs.

Yes you can do that, and that's exctly why the sub has a crossover (isn't a analog dial great as compared a digital setting on a processor!) Line Level 2 channels to the sub, then line level back the processor. Crossover the sub to your liking.

get_zwole
06-27-2008, 10:35 AM
the only thing i have on the receiver is a preout? It has a place for it but thats for 6 channel direct?
Oh and the sub is a elemental designs a2-300. thanks for the help man.

dallas
06-27-2008, 10:45 AM
I take that back, you _should_ be able to just send the pre-outs to the sub and not have to send anything back the processor. The pre-outs _should_ work basically as a splitter just before the amplification.

get_zwole
06-27-2008, 10:58 AM
ok cool deal thanks again bud man im diggin my setup now hehe i know what im doing all weekend`:cool:

curtis
06-27-2008, 11:20 AM
There should be a specific pre-out on the receiver for the sub.

If you run the mains as large, you will not be sending bass signals to the sub, unless you tell the receiver to do so.

If you send a fullrange signal to the sub and to the speakers, you will be a doubling of bass and should use the crossover at the sub to adjust for this, but you will not be alleviating the mains from doing bass work.

get_zwole
06-27-2008, 11:38 AM
yeah i may just end up leaving them at small until i can get a receiver with adjustable crossover's prob put it at 70 or so. Supposed to be 20hz above lowest right which on the 340 is 48. just seems that 100 is a little too high for my taste.

dallas
06-27-2008, 11:40 AM
If you send a fullrange signal to the sub and to the speakers, you will be a doubling of bass and should use the crossover at the sub to adjust for this, but you will not be alleviating the mains from doing bass work.

Curtis is right. I think the idea there is to set the crossover to the point where the mains are dropping off and not repoducing sound. The crossover lets you "marry" the two where you find appropiate within the limits of your sub and crossover's effective range.

curtis
06-27-2008, 11:40 AM
Ahh...I see. Have you set them to small and calibrated the sub?

get_zwole
06-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Ahh...I see. Have you set them to small and calibrated the sub?

thats the thing i dont think my receiver even lets you calibrate my sub. I have no crossover on the sub nothing it just says sub ON or OFF. It is 10 years old but back in 99 it was top notch in HK ran about a grand or better. Im ordering a yamaha 663 soon because it will do just about everything i want and its cheap. How do i send a signal to the sub to calibrate it do i need a pink noise cd or what?

curtis
06-27-2008, 11:51 AM
The receiver does not let you set speaker levels?

If that is the case, you can still use the volume level on the sub amp.

You should get a calibration disc like Avia.

http://www.ovationmultimedia.com/

get_zwole
06-27-2008, 11:55 AM
It does on my left right and center, dont have my surrounds yet but for my sub it just says on or off wont let me raise or lower db's. Does a normal receiver just send test tones just like l/r/c to the sub or do you need a certain sound? thanks for all the help Curtis and Dallas

curtis
06-27-2008, 12:00 PM
Yes...they send tones to the sub too....it is just a different frequency range. Since is is a lower range, it does not seem as loud...but that is why you have a SPL meter.

get_zwole
06-27-2008, 12:09 PM
well hell i guess im gonna tinker with it a bit maybe im missing a setting or something. thanks for the help again.